Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Calling ALL CFI's ....Double I's and all...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

VW Pilot

MMM...PIGEON CASSEROLE
Ok I've been training for the Instrument Rating and all is well. Just this one thing. I do realize that most instructors have their own ways of teaching and some add concepts and what not...but this one I have never heard of. Upon landing on the runway, the instructor says ok....one thing on that landing. You didn't retract the flaps....Mind you were still on the landing roll coming to a stop. He says if you leave the flaps in the extended positions during the roll to a stop, it will cause you to skid.......I questioned this. I don't understand how this can cause the plane to skid. Landing without correcting aircraft and runway alignment and failure to maintain directional control will definately cause a skid....right off the runway...Overbraking or applying brake pressure unevenly on the pedals can cause a skid....I just don't see the relationship. I stated that leaving the flaps extended can aid in adding some extra drag or wind resistance and help slow the plane. He stressed that since the plane's speed is not sufficient for the wings to produce lift that they won't produce drag either.....I then said, well that makes sense but
I was relating drag to resistance of the whole aircraft moving forward.....I didn't argue too much because he is the Instructor and thus more experienced than me and I respect his position and maybe there is something that I don't know. But he didn't clarify it, so I'm asking U guys....Do you teach this? During my PPL I was taught upon touchdown, keep that nose wheel up or at least add some back pressure to keep the weight off the nose wheel and use rudders to maintain directional control then apply light to medium pressure for braking.....this didn't include retracting flaps.......

I think the issue of what flaps do after a landing is the secondary issue here. The primary issue seems to be whether your instructor can expalin to your satisfaction a procedure he wants you to perform. Phrases like, "I know you want me to retract the flaps after landing but I don't understand why. Could you explain it to me another way?" may get you a satisfactory answer. If this issue is creating a breach of trust in your instructor that you cannot resolve with your instructor, take it to the chief for an instructor change.

I taught my students that flap retraction was an after-landing event. Do not change any configuration on the rollout. Focus on landing the plane, not changing configuration.

Many designated examiners will fail you for removing flaps, switching off lights, etc while still on the runway. All of that should be done once safely stopped on a taxi-way.

Now, he is correct that your braking is less effective at high airspeeds with flaps, but that is why you should reduce your speed with increasing braking as your airspeed decreases. If you slam on the brakes right as you touch down you will definitely skid.

The only time I've heard of retracting flaps during the landing roll is if you are doing a short field landing. For normal landing I was taught and taught my students to wait until the aircraft is clear of the runway to "clean up" the airplane.

I agree with what has been said above. I was taught and taught my students to leave the flaps alone until you are clear of the runway. I also know some DEs that would fail people for messing with the flaps while still on the landing roll.

The best advice I have heard on here is to ask him to explain the reason behind him wanting you to put the flaps up on the landing roll. If he can't give you an explaination that you can understand then you need to get yourself a new CFI. Part of being a good CFI is being able to explain things so that the student can understand. Everybody learns a different way and when I used to CFI I had about 10 or so different ways to explain everything...and even then there were times I had to send students to other CFIs cause my teaching method just wasn't working with a student's particular learning method....so don't be afaid to switch if this guys teaching method doesn't jive with the way you learn.

The only reason I can think of as to why he would think that flaps down would cause a skid is because with the flaps down more lift is produced. With more lift the weight on the tires is less. If there is less wieght on the tires then the brakes are less effective. Also with less weight on the tires it would probably take less brake pressure to get a tire to lock up and skid. Of course all of this is only applicable during the high speed part of the landing roll. So in order to get the weight to the wheels faster you would have to raise the flaps right after touch down. In my opinion (and I'm sure a lot of others here on FI) It is way more dangerous to mess with the flaps while still going high speed on the landing roll than to get the flaps up to "prevent a skid". If you want to prevent a skid then keep the brake pressure light and apply it gradually, if you hear or feel a tire lock up the let up on the brakes...pretty simple and not distracting.

Here are my arguments as to why raising the flaps is a bad idea.

1. When you get to complex planes you might raise the wrong handle and by bad luck raise the gear (of course other stuff would have to go wrong, but it has happend in the past)

2. Looking inside to find the flap selector while moving high speed down the runway could lead to a loss of directional control and end up way worse than most "skids" would.

Unless the aircraft manufacturer specifically recommends doing so, you shouldn't be moving any non-pertinent controls until clear of the runway.

If you need a reference to back this up, this excerpt from page 8-7 of the FAA Airplane Flying Handbook is a good start:

Once the airplane has slowed sufficiently and has turned on to the taxiway and stopped, the pilot should retract the flaps and clean up the airplane. Many accidents have occurred as a result of the pilot unintentionally operating the landing gear control and retracting the gear instead of the flap control when the airplane was still rolling. The habit of positively identifying both of these controls, before actuating them, should be formed from the very beginning of flight training and continued in all future flying activities.

There's no rush, and no reason to be blindly reaching for secondary controls while you're still landing and slowing the airplane. It's very likely that your airplane's handbook says something similar; I'd check that, too.

I agree...and in the warrior and 172 planes I trained in, I saw nothing in the POH about retracting flaps during landing rolls....I did read this in the FAA handbook about "cleaning up" the plane after you exit the runway and safely stopped on a taxi way.....Thanks for the input

The problem with teaching that is down the road when you're flying something like a bonanza ro something with retractable gear, what are you gonna say when you move the gear handle up instead of the flap by accident?

Dont touch anything until you clear the runway, stop and do the after landing checklist or flow per the AFM.

If you CFI continues to have you do this, then do it and after you fail the examiner will talk this over with your CFI.

Last edited:
Well don't do it on your checkride. Why fail due to your instructor not knowing what he is talking about. Like everyone said above unless its a short field leave em alone. I remember one instructor would literally slap your hand if you touched or did anything but taxi the plane or touched anything until after you were clear the runway. If you really want to print up this page and ask him why so many people would disagree with him. That should give him an ample opportunity to explain himself. Remember to be polite about it though.

Latest resources

Back