Call sign Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

blzr

I was flying in the NE yesterday and heard an Eagle flight (IE) 8345A. What does the "A" mean at the end of the call sign. I've heard it several times now. What does it signify?

blzr said:
I was flying in the NE yesterday and heard an Eagle flight (IE) 8345A. What does the "A" mean at the end of the call sign. I've heard it several times now. What does it signify?

it was probably a through flight number and 8345 was still in the air when the clearance was issued. Where im at they just change the flight number, ie 2xxx becomes 7xxx.

Funny you ask because I heard "Alitalia Seven Bravo Two" today. WTF??! And just so you dont think I mis-heard it....I heard Lufthansa number [letter] number the other day too. or it may have been number number number letter. There have been a few I've heard lately. The first I ever heard was US Air Nine Eight Quebec...and I asked a crew member at PVD one day and he had to look up his ops manual to answer me...but lately I've heard it on the Int'l carriers.

for my company it means that one flight number is used for two or more legs. because you can't file for more than one leg at a time with the same flight number, they use the "A" at the end so that the flight plan can be filed.

CaptETWes said:
for my company it means that one flight number is used for two or more legs. because you can't file for more than one leg at a time with the same flight number, they use the "A" at the end so that the flight plan can be filed.

You can file it, you just can't have two airborne at the same time with the same callsign (unless they are at opposite ends of the country). Bad things happen in our automation otherwise.

Autoparts2 said:
While on the call sign issue, who is " Brickyard".

I believe Brickyard is the new Republic Airline created from the former USAirways/Mid-Atlantic E170's.

91 said:
I've noticed I hear alot of those "alpha" callsigns on bad weather days.

As long as you don't here an Omega on a bad weather day!

Latest resources

Back