Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

"GO AROUND"

Again?!?!?
Just wondering if I'm the only one who has noticed a potential incident/accident waiting to happen with controllers confusing Candler with Comair, Continental, etc..??? Either in the way the call signs sound very similar or the controller calling Candler 412, Comair 412 or the other way around. It's happend to me a handfull of times over the last 4 1/2 yrs(not just with Comair), but now that we are doing more flying out of CVG it has happened to me a couple dozen times in the last 2 months. A couple of times could have been bad at a critical time. Before his recent passing, our system C.P. was working on getting "ACEY" back, because the reserve unit that had it is now decomissioned. Anyone heard something new?

From my experience, it seems that ATC is usually pretty good at advising both aircraft to use caution when similar call-signs are on the frequency, whether similar sounding names or numbers.

Not only that, but NO controller west of the Mississippi can figure out what our callsign is! The popular one out there is Candle Air. 8 out of ten times this is what we are called. If not, then Chandler, Canadair, or Chandaler....... What would it take for the company to change this REDICULOUS callsign??? They dont use it day in and day out ----- so why do they care what we use? But, boy, they sure are proud of that call sign. I agree, it is at best confusing if not dangerous.

79%N1 said:
The popular one out there is Candle Air. 8 out of ten times this is what we are called.

Especially in the Northeast, where Commutair flies. That's what I've been called when I flew in and out of Boston.

hawkerflyer said:
From my experience, it seems that ATC is usually pretty good at advising both aircraft to use caution when similar call-signs are on the frequency, whether similar sounding names or numbers.

I wouldn't bet the rent money on that.

Before the days of Independence (the airline, not 1776), we Bluestreakers were often confused with Blueridge. Now we're mostly confused with Jetlink, since our ATC code is JS. Not too long ago there was a short-lived push by some guys here to change our call-sign. But the overwhelming consensus from the pilots was to keep the call-sign and continue to deal with the confusion.

Yea, but Blueridge was a cool callsign! I dont know any pilot at ASA that like Candler.....oh well.,

Someone told me that it was "Can't handle her...." I thought it was Chandler or an x-rated "Candle her.." Who came up with that call sign? What is the story anyway?

Bye Bye--General Lee

It's not that the numbers are the same, they just sound the same or the controller calls us Comair out of habit because that's all they're used to.
About a year ago I asked our system chief pilot about changing our call sign back to "ACEY" when I heard that the reserve or guard unit that used ACEY also was decomissioned. He said he was working on it but the FAA is reluctant to change for just any reason and that we needed a legitimate reason. He was killed in his ultralight recently and I think the change may have died with him. I guess I'll have to raise the question with our new system CP.

It's the name of the family that started Coca Cola, I think. It was the original name of ATL airport, "Candler field"

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back