• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Call and thank AOPA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thing is we have a bunch of fat, embarrassing bastards walking around looking all fat and embarrassing. I was hoping this regulation would get these butterbeans on a treadmill or at least off the baconator and twix diet.

A BMI of 30 is still obese btw.

AOPA as well as donate to the general fund.
Without AOPA efforts aviation would be a lot worse off in this counrty. Thuis money well directed.

Is 30...?? What about 25? 40 was just the start!!!
This BMI thing is wacko. I am at 24.5 (6' 180#) and that is .5 from overweight, but if I weighted 140 pounds I would be normal.

Last edited:
Forget BMI. The rule should be simple. Every flight crew member has to be able to fit though all the emergency exits on the aircraft without assistance.

Scott

This is the FAA's way of covering their asses after CONGRESS jammed the Aviation Safety Act down their throat. Anyone that actually believes that FAR 117 implantation is going to reduce pilot fatigue and increase safety is naive. The FAA is taking the reigns by ordering AME's to have sleep studies conducted on pilots as a way of demonstrating they are in control of pilots flying fatigued or not...bunch of BS is what it is...Heck, let's do ANOTHER study on pilot fatigue and the benefit of "naps" this crap is so ridiculous, you can't make it up...Remember that medical device tax? CPAP...IS A MEDICAL DEVICE...

In the late 80's the NTSB did a study of sleep in the cockpit, looking at instances of “Micro Napping”. This where you have no control over falling asleep and blacking out due to being fatigued. . What they found was at int'l carriers where controlled napping was allowed in cruise, there were no instances of Micro napping from start of descent to the gate. On US Air carriers there was 147 cases of Micro Napping from the start of descent to the gate. Including 4 cases of micro napping where both pilots dropped off at the same time. The danger is not missing the call because of controlled napping, but missing the call because of uncontrolled napping. BTW the FAA rejected the NTSB recommendation of setting napping policy, because it was un-American to sleep on the job.

Yip, i believe the study was done by NASA, and rejected by the NTSB, and therefore the FAA. But whatever.......

BMI is totally bogus; more important is the size of one's organs. Yah, HA HAH; whip it out, let's compare. No, seriously, the size of your throat, adenoids, uvula, tongue. Allergies, dry mouth, hydration, altitude, also , for a short list of things that affect your propensity for sleep apnea.

So how about you set up a poll; How many of you have NEVER napped in flight. How often DO you nap in flight? How LONG do you nap in flight? With 117 do you nap more or less than before? Do you or have you ALLOWED napping by the other crew member(s).

Jeez, the questions. This could become longer that an ACT/SAT test.

But the results, if published here would be meaningless. Pilots lie on their medical exams on a regular basis, fear of being exposed by the NSA for posting here, etc.

But the truth will never come, but it does really need to come out.

Last edited:
Yip, i believe the study was done by NASA, and rejected by the NTSB, and therefore the FAA. But whatever.......

BMI is totally bogus; more important is the size of one's organs. Yah, HA HAH; whip it out, let's compare. No, seriously, the size of your throat, adenoids, uvula, tongue. Allergies, dry mouth, hydration, altitude, also , for a short list of things that affect your propensity for sleep apnea.

So how about you set up a poll; How many of you have NEVER napped in flight. How often DO you nap in flight? How LONG do you nap in flight? With 117 do you nap more or less than before? Do you or have you ALLOWED napping by the other crew member(s).

Jeez, the questions. This could become longer that an ACT/SAT test.

But the results, if published here would be meaningless. Pilots lie on their medical exams on a regular basis, fear of being exposed by the NSA for posting here, etc.

But the truth will never come, but it does really need to come out.
Thanks for the info the NASA report. My info came from a Navy buddy who worked for the NTSB a long time ago.

If you fly at night in the 2300-0700 time frame, you are dangerous if you do not take a 20 minute break to check your eyes for light leaks every once in a while. Because if you don't have controlled napping you may encounter uncontrolled napping.

oldie fits here
Reminds me of my first trip after IOE, 1978 TransAmerican L-188 F/O coming out of the Emery sort at KDAY at 0200. We level off and the CA looks at me and says, "Why don't you kick back and get some rest? I answered "Oh no sir, my job to be fully alert to the safety of flight at all times" (or something stupid like that). He looks at his feet and shakes his head and says "I hate you new guys, you know I am gunna catch some rest on the next leg, and I won't rest well if I think you might not be alert" "If I am not rested I am a grumpy son-of -a-bitch, and you don't want to be around me when I am grumpy" "Now how about you get some rest? I pretended to rest, I was too excited about being an airline pilot. That did not last long, the not resting part, I loved being an airline pilot. There is no way anyone who lives on their days off on a 7AM to 11PM wake cycle with their family, can now pick up three nights of 11PM to 7AM flying and not be exhausted.

Last edited:
That's correct. The FAA has its sight set on every pilot with a medical.

If you think you're gonna escape the apnea study because you're skinny like a toothpick, think again.

They want your medical just like they want their certificate back.

Plain and simple.

Yes...we're all out to get you. Plain and simple. #sarcasm

Latest resources

Back