CAL, XJET or any EWR based pilots....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

subsonic

Continental, XJET or any Newark based pilots, I know NJ can cost a huge fortune to live. You guys know of any good locations around there for townhouses (if any)? I noticed EWR airport has rail service & thought of train commuting from southern NJ, Phila, etc. Do they offer passes/discounts to airline emplyees? Thanks!

The general rule is to get a place outside an hour of the airport to the west. Northwest, southwest, or just west. PA is commutable too, although prices are starting to go up there. Are you looking to move or find a crashpad?

I live west of EWR in Morristown, NJ. If you want to take the train to EWR, don't live west. Changing in Secaucus tacks on an additional 45 mins. or more in most cases since the connections are not very convenient. My trip by car from Morristown takes 25 mins. to the parking lot and I rarely deal with traffic. By train it takes 1.5 hrs sometimes more since the damn train stops every 3-5 mins. It also like $14 one way! I look at the train as a backup but not a daily commuting tool. If you live south you could take the train directly to EWR without changing which would be nice. I hope this helps.

Subsonic
I live in South Jersey. Homes (houses or Condos) are reasonable $250-$450K. The commute is totally drivable 80-90 miles. I can also take Jersey transit (amtrac) from Phila-EWR. about 40 minutes and $30 if it is snowy or traffic is bad. Have recently seen a slowdown in real estate prices as the housing market levels off. Since Phila airport is also close to Delaware many of our pilots have homes there. They drive the short hike to PHL then can either take a commuter flight to work or, take the $5 tram from PHL airport to 30th street station where they jump the train to work. Many options available in that NE area. Good Luck

bangor

hey bangor,, I am originally from south jersey,,I just got hired by xjet and probably will be based in newark,, I was wondering if you know how long the drive is, if I can make the two hour window or not. My house back there is like 15 mins from philly exit 4 off the turnpike.

How are the hotels (for the folks who commute) in terms of prices, quality, transportation in EWR?

Thanks

Thanks for the info guys. Speaking of commuting, say you have a 4 day trip. do you commute the day before and come home the day after for a total of 6? i never had an airline job so forgive my lack of knowledge. do most guys at EWR working for CAL commute from out of state?

Wyndham Hotel/ DoubleTree EWR $62
Marriott Courtyard EWR $55
Fairfirld Marriott EWR $50
Many others $45 on up
crashpads can start at $110/mo depending on location www.ewrcrashpads.com
www.blockedin.com

Many also get online rates for Cheap online at the EWR Marriott. Doubletree 9(name change from Wyndham is the best)

subsonic said:
Thanks for the info guys. Speaking of commuting, say you have a 4 day trip. do you commute the day before and come home the day after for a total of 6? i never had an airline job so forgive my lack of knowledge. do most guys at EWR working for CAL commute from out of state?

The contract is weak/nonexistent on protecting commuters. No positive space passes if you "tried two flights but couldn't get a seat." And no mercy if you don't make the flight. Management's basic philosophy, especially in EWR, is that it is not their problem you don't live in domicile; that is your choice, not their problem. If you don't show up for a flight due to a commute it will not be much different than if you don't show up because you just decided to blow off work for the day. You will carpet dance and you will smile doing it. Carry salt in case of vinyl floor.

Here is one anecdotal answer to your question: I commuted 18 months to Newark and only once did I commute in on the first day of a duty period. Every other time I came in the day before (once two days before because there was no way the load factors the day before Thanksgiving would have got me there).

Admittedly, all of the above occurred when I was pretty junior. Once you get a line and move up in seniority, you might be able to get more commutable trips that allow you to commute on a work day.

Also, the 737 has a lot of early departures, late arrivals, which makes the commute harder. The 757/777 (which some very junior folks are getting on these days) has a lot of late afternoon and evening departures which make commuting a lot easier.

Nevertheless, my crashpad had 777/757/737 FOs and CAs in it, so commuting is an issue for everyone, right up through the seniority list.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back