• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL/UAL Solution

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The 787 was designed to be a complementary type?
I know everyone thinks the 777 is a shiny new jet- but it's close to 20 years old...

To summarize your solution:

- me
- you

Good summation! :laugh:

Seriously, if UAL is such a sinking ship, then the better suggestion is to skip the merger completely. Let UAL fail and buy up the pieces later like UAL did with Pan Am.

As for the name change, United is more fitting of a global airline than Continental. It's a marketing PR thing. Nostalgia has little place in business.

They know UAL is not a sinking ship. They are afraid to face the facts that 1/3 of the pilot force is new 2005-2007 and they may not come out so rosey. Due to praters lack of listening to the majority I am going to sit this one out and watch from the side lines for a LOOOONG time. Awesome career, LIVING THE DREAM BABY!!!!!!! thanks prater and swa.

I know everyone thinks the 777 is a shiny new jet- but it's close to 20 years old...

Boeing planned from the start to design the 787 to be flown by 777 crews with a short differences training course. The latest word from Boeing is 5 days of differences training. CAL is planning on using the 777 crews but with a more extensive training course.

Here's some 777 history from Boeing's website.

http://www.boeing.com/history/boeing/777.html

The Model 777, the first entirely new Boeing airplane in more than a decade, was the first jetliner to be 100 percent digitally designed using three-dimensional computer graphics. Throughout the design process, the airplane was "preassembled" on the computer, eliminating the need for a costly, full-scale mock-up.

The 777 program was launched in October 1990 with an order from United Airlines. In June 1995, United flew its first 777 in revenue service. The Boeing board of directors authorized production of the 777-300 on June 26, 1995, and the first 777-300 was delivered to Cathay Pacific Airways in June 1998.

The 777 is the widest, most spacious airplane in its class and includes improvements in airfoil technology, flight deck design, passenger comfort and interior flexibility. Its greater payload and range capability result in lower operating costs to airlines, and its standard equipment includes many features that are optional on other airliners.

The airplane is larger than all other twinjet or trijet airplanes but smaller than the 747. It brings the twin-engine economic advantage to medium- and long-range markets. The 777 currently is available in five models: 777-200, 777-200ER (extended range), 777-200LR (longer-range), 777-300 and the 777-300ER. The 777-200 can take 305 passengers 5,210 miles; the 777-300 can carry 368 passengers 5,955 miles. Launched in February 2000, the 777-200LR and 777-300ER can fly 8,818 or 7,175 miles, respectively. The 777-300ER rolled out Nov. 14, 2002

Boeing planned from the start to design the 787 to be flown by 777 crews with a short differences training course. The latest word from Boeing is 5 days of differences training. CAL is planning on using the 777 crews but with a more extensive training course.

Completely wrong. Boeing had no intentions of making a common type. The airlines were the ones pressuring Boeing to do it. There is nothing for Boeing to gain by doing this. To this day, it is not decided. Boeing is still leaning toward making it seperate while the airlines pressure the other way.

So a 20% 777 pilot would be a 20% 777 pilot on combined list?

Completely wrong. Boeing had no intentions of making a common type. The airlines were the ones pressuring Boeing to do it. There is nothing for Boeing to gain by doing this. To this day, it is not decided. Boeing is still leaning toward making it seperate while the airlines pressure the other way.

Your source?

I'm just going by the info that Boeing has been putting out. I was on a blastmail list for Sonic Cruiser development info and when that was killed I ended up being on Boeing's "world design team" mailing list (like quite a few others I'm sure). They used that public group for surveys and polling to make some public opinion based decisions on the (stupid) name and interior design features. They hosted online chats with engineers and the chief pilots.
When the cockpit design was revealed and in a few of the online chats they stated how it was designed so that 777 pilots could fly it with minimal differences training. That was quite a few years ago.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back