CAL traffic falling

QOL_is_great:)

What the?
Total Time
>6500
Five hours ago posted on FOX Business News

Continental Airlines late Monday reported February traffic fell 13.2% to 5.88 billion revenue passenger miles from 6.77 billion last year. A revenue passenger mile is one paying passenger flown one mile. The Houston-based airline said capacity declined 8.9% to 8.11 billion available seat miles last month from 8.91 billion in February 2008. Its load factor, or percentage of seats filled, slid to 72.5% from 76%.

Don't slip any further. We don't want to see any of the industry loads slip.

Raoul Duke

Total Time
This is really really bad for us all. CO has a revenue accounting system that permits them to report RPMs prior to all other carriers. This could not be worse. I am convinced that UA or US are at a very high risk for BK if this does not change quickly

Twotter Driver

Total Time
Five hours ago posted on FOX Business News

Continental Airlines late Monday reported February traffic fell 13.2% to 5.88 billion revenue passenger miles from 6.77 billion last year. A revenue passenger mile is one paying passenger flown one mile. The Houston-based airline said capacity declined 8.9% to 8.11 billion available seat miles last month from 8.91 billion in February 2008. Its load factor, or percentage of seats filled, slid to 72.5% from 76%.

Don't slip any further. We don't want to see any of the industry loads slip.
Of course traffic fell 13.2%!!! They removed approx. 11% of the available capacity. Yes load factors are down 3.5%, but oil is down 70%. Considering this was Feb., a slow month, in a recession....a 72.5% load factor isn't too bad.....more doom and gloom to come i'm sure!!

Dogwood

Total Time
Of course traffic fell 13.2%!!! They removed approx. 11% of the available capacity. Yes load factors are down 3.5%, but oil is down 70%. Considering this was Feb., a slow month, in a recession....a 72.5% load factor isn't too bad.....more doom and gloom to come i'm sure!!
I believe their point is that the decrease in demand has outpaced the decrease in capacity.

145EXR

Total Time
8000+
we are in contract negotiations..i would not expect ANYTHING positive untill we sign a ta in a few yrs

Jetjockey

Stay thirsty my friends
Total Time
18K+
Everyone's traffic has fallen, even freight demand. I believe I read that passenger demand call fall north of 15%, and still would not be as damaging as the $150 /barrel oil.

If you haven't noticed, the economy sucks.

Rick James

Total Time
5000+
This is really really bad for us all. CO has a revenue accounting system that permits them to report RPMs prior to all other carriers. This could not be worse. I am convinced that UA or US are at a very high risk for BK if this does not change quickly
Hopefully no BK for anyone, but I think CH.7 may be the only option. There is no credit available for a CH.11. I hope we can all make it through this mess.

Hutchman

Total Time
12000+
I believe their point is that the decrease in demand has outpaced the decrease in capacity.
Too bad they don't post thier decrease in the CASM. It would be interesting to see if it fell faster than the RASM. My guess is yes, fuel is 1/3 of the cost last year and the pilot group has the cheapest contract out there.

ACL65PILOT

Total Time
9000+
Everyone is getting hurt. There are four majors that will face major liquidity issues this year.
Revenue needs to fall by about 20% for airlines not to post number like they had this year. We are getting to about a 10% drop in ticket prices.
DAL is looking at Sept numbers and they are in effect non-existent. People are not booking as far out, but it is a good benchmark to run by. Spring numbers are better than expected, and summer looks OK.
CAL should be fine, but time will tell.

wmuflyguy

flunky
Total Time
5k+
DAL is looking at Sept numbers and they are in effect non-existent. People are not booking as far out, but it is a good benchmark to run by. Spring numbers are better than expected, and summer looks OK.
CAL should be fine, but time will tell.
Exactly many people don't know if they will be employed in the coming months and aren't making plans that far in the future.

CapnVegetto

The Prince of all Saiyans
Total Time
BS.....CAL is in contract negotiations, they want as much doom and gloom news out there as possible.

Barrel of oil is between $35 and $45 each. BS....they ain't losin money. Wait till the 1Q earnings statements come out before 'THE SKY IS FALLING' screams start happening.

CAL is going to make a profit this year....so will most airlines, as long as oil stays reasonable.

My buddy STILL says all furloughs will be back before summer.....they won't get through it without them.

ewrord

Total Time
I don't think recalls are likely until next year. Things are continuing to get worse, and as far as the rest of the world goes, it is farther behind in the economic cycle then the US. This mean international traffic will continue to fall well into the end of 2009. Since CAL derives more than 50% of their revenue from international that will affect them greatly.

ATRCA

Total Time
tons
BS.....CAL is in contract negotiations, they want as much doom and gloom news out there as possible.

Barrel of oil is between $35 and $45 each. BS....they ain't losin money. Wait till the 1Q earnings statements come out before 'THE SKY IS FALLING' screams start happening.

CAL is going to make a profit this year....so will most airlines, as long as oil stays reasonable.

My buddy STILL says all furloughs will be back before summer.....they won't get through it without them.
There is NO WAY the furloughees will be back before summer. I think the best case scenario would be recall in Oct/Nov. Not before.

imfloodedII

Total Time
November will be 2 years since age 65 happened....those who were supposed to retire at 60 will have supposedly made it to 62 and supplimented their retirement.

Wonder how that is going?

Ex737Driver

Contract 2020????
Total Time
15000+
There is NO WAY the furloughees will be back before summer. I think the best case scenario would be recall in Oct/Nov. Not before.
It could be possible for some of the furloughs to be recalled before the next bid if the FAA holds true to their new rest requirements for ULH. Granted that mgmt could simply increase LV and eliminate LTVRF but with sporadic staffinf problems we had in FEB, even that may not be enough to offset. Then again, we could always rely on the scab wanna-a-be captains that will fly as FO's for JM pay.:uzi: