Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

catIIIc

[FONT=ARIAL,]Source:http://www.flightglobal.com

There were the strongest signs yet of a revival of the turboprop in the USA at the Regional Airline Association’s (RAA) annual conference in Dallas, Texas last week, when it emerged that Continental Airlines has issued a request for proposals (RFP) for 24 new 70-seat turboprops.

According to industry sources, the airline’s RFP specifies that 12 turboprops will operate from Continental’s New York Newark hub and an equal number from the carrier’s Houston hub. Both airports will lose capacity under a new feeder deal with its regional associate ExpressJet, which has to take 69 Embraer ERJ-145s out of its current 274-strong regional jet fleet.

Continental, which phased out its turboprops, now wants 24 70-seaters

The turboprop RFP, which the airline says is just one of several options “for our future regional flying needs”, marks the first serious interest in new-build large turboprops since the 1990s from a US legacy carrier.

Continental was among the pioneers in the USA of an effort to move to an all-jet regional fleet, phasing out its ATR and Embraer turboprops in favour of ERJ-145s. However, more recently the airline has begun to re-introduce some turboprop feeder services through contracts with Colgan Air, Gulfstream International and Regions Air.

ATR and Bombardier – the two producers of 70-seat turboprops in the form of the ATR 72-500 and Dash 8 Q400, respectively – are said to be excited about the potential prospects of the RFP. Both have been waiting and hoping for a revival of the turboprop market in the USA.

[/FONT]

I'll be interested to see how they try to circumvent the CAL pilots scope clause on that one. Now if mainline were to operate the Q400, that would be a boon for all of us.

Stay strong CAL pilots!

Master Shake said:
I'll be interested to see how they try to circumvent the CAL pilots scope clause on that one. Now if mainline were to operate the Q400, that would be a boon for all of us.

Stay strong CAL pilots!

Does the fact that they are Turboprops and not jets having anything to do with going around the scope language? I'm unfamiliar witht he scope language of CAL.

Example CAL flies any JET over 50 seats or is it any aircraft over 50 seats is flown by CAL

My understanding is that the scope is seat specific, ie. 51 + seats is mainline. I'm sure Neal will be reading this today and post the real scope language.

Sweet let me be first... I heard ASA got the flying. They beat out horizon because the pilot pay at horizon is too high.

If it would be a scope violation then COEX never would have been able to operate the ATR-72, we still had a few when I was there though they were on the way out as the jets come on board. 70 seat turboprops pose no threat to 737 flying.

Considering Horizon and ASA are the only companies currently operating 70 seat props... I hope we at least put in a bid.

No I'm sure Trans States will make a couple Frankenstien ATRs out of old spare parts hanging around the hanger....

Latest resources

Back