• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL Pilots and Opentime

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
READ.... I.E. stop saving the Company by picking up opentime!

• Only four retirements are considered during the 12 month period.
• The bid numbers include the end of all RFL and LTVRF.
• These numbers include all returning COLAs that do not have the right to extend.
• There are no recalls.
• These numbers include significant reductions in full time training instructors, with instructors returning back to the line or leaving employment at CAL.
• Missing is a viable plan to appropriately staff the HNL flying from the west coast.

Not trying to stir the rumor pot, but what are the chances that Management is doing this on purpose with the knowedge that a possible merger with United would alleviate these staffing issues? The point above that worries me the most about this is the last one, if United has plenty of staffing on the west coast, that would explain why CAL isn't worried about HNL staffing. This would also explain why they could reduce the training department, United pilots wouldn't require any significant training.

I'm only guessing and I REALLY hope I'm wrong here. Thoughts?

A little birdy told me the company will be trying to balance things on the head of a needle this summer.

Reserves should plan to get raped. Lineholders should plan to have their QoL decimated.

Rumors of "planned" vacation cancellations.

Even the saviors may not save them this time around.

Not trying to stir the rumor pot, but what are the chances that Management is doing this on purpose with the knowedge that a possible merger with United would alleviate these staffing issues? The point above that worries me the most about this is the last one, if United has plenty of staffing on the west coast, that would explain why CAL isn't worried about HNL staffing. This would also explain why they could reduce the training department, United pilots wouldn't require any significant training.

I'm only guessing and I REALLY hope I'm wrong here. Thoughts?

They're training IAH reserves for the HNL stuff. I'm not worried about a UAL merger...yet.

A little birdy told me the company will be trying to balance things on the head of a needle this summer.

Reserves should plan to get raped. Lineholders should plan to have their QoL decimated.

Rumors of "planned" vacation cancellations.

Even the saviors may not save them this time around.

But the question remains, will there be plenty of open time to pick up? :)

Latest is that 45% of CAL's smallest domestic base's block hours in March (and beyond) is the HNL pairing. Trips will be the current unproductive, redeye 5-day, plus a new super productive 3-day that will carry an IRO. It will be an interesting summer.

What are the poor w h o r e s going to do under the new contract when they can't waive DH or VAC anymore? Maybe that's why they keep bending over for Fred, the more they do it, the longer they get to keep working under POS '02 and bend over some more! FUPMFUPMFUPMFUPMFUPM

P.S.- Any chance the previously mentioned ladies of the night are RFL pilots? That would at least excuse their actions in my opinion.

Why is that? Seems like a reasonable question.

Not everyone's international trips go to Europe or Asia and return. The trip keeps going around the world resulting in ONE Atlantic "crossing" and ONE Pacific "crossing". Others end on another continent after only one "crossing" and the pilot commercials home.

6 one-way "crossings" a month is a lot but seems reasonable every once in a while. 12 is over the top. Hence my question to get clarification.

I suppose. I certainly meant no ill will towards you by making that cynical comment.
I meant more that...Only a chap from a reasonable airline would assume that a 75-76 crew would do 3-5 transatlantic trips a month. At CAL a 75-76 crew normally performs 6 x 15hour trips :).

IMO, this bid says more about right-sizing for a merger (or downsizing to give flying to our alliance partners, take your pick) than anything else.

I've worked for more than one carrier who's pilots picked up open trips with guys on furlough. While I think CAL has a larger % of losers (95% of which are either on the 777 or based in IAH or BOTH) than the average major, the practice is not uncommon. Unfortunate but not entirely unique.

Open time has no relation to furloughs. Whether the time is covered or not, it has absolutely no relationship to furloughs. Why pilots don't get this after 75 years is completely beyond me.

Latest resources

Back