• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL pilot question...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You asked about the 777- I wouldn't recommend it for your situation.

I forgot to mention... IAH 777 FO goes more senior than IAH 737 CA. :eek:

I.e., it'd take 5 or 6 years to get to IAH on the 777, or a two-year wait to downsize airplanes.

756 EWR is commutable if you have a line. lots of IRO from what i hear.

Junior IRO trips will dissappear in 68 days and counting.

On July 1, IRO 757 pays more than flying.

Junior IRO trips will dissappear in 68 days and counting.

On July 1, IRO 757 pays more than flying.

great point. the only 'snapback' provision that the wizards built into the contract.

isn't it fun to watch our profitability go into others' pockets instead of the people who took the biggest hit? every concession should've had 'snapback' provisions. keep your profit sharing and stock. get my rate back that affects my entire compensation package. i digress.

nonetheless...say it with me...IAH 737 FO, IAH 737 FO, IAH 737 FO. large variety of trips. -800/-900 premium pay with more -800/-900s coming every month. definitely the most flexible seat position for a commuter. only reason to bid 757/767/777 as a junior person is if you live in base. otherwise, it robs you of at 2-3 days off every month. and we all know how valuable each day off is to a commuter.

good luck.

I am on the 756 but wish I went with the 73. Sure the guppy is less pay but the trips are way more productive and the movement is swift so the pay argument is a wash. Buddies of mine are planning on bidding B777 on the next bid for the pay... but they will more than likely be commuting to rsv. I would never commute to rsv if given the choice.

great point. the only 'snapback' provision that the wizards built into the contract.

isn't it fun to watch our profitability go into others' pockets instead of the people who took the biggest hit? every concession should've had 'snapback' provisions. keep your profit sharing and stock. get my rate back that affects my entire compensation package. i digress.

nonetheless...say it with me...IAH 737 FO, IAH 737 FO, IAH 737 FO. large variety of trips. -800/-900 premium pay with more -800/-900s coming every month. definitely the most flexible seat position for a commuter. only reason to bid 757/767/777 as a junior person is if you live in base. otherwise, it robs you of at 2-3 days off every month. and we all know how valuable each day off is to a commuter.

good luck.

I agree with all of that. I live within 2 hours of EWR and I think the 75/6 EWR flying is the most varied and best available in the system, however because of things like 50% pay (now 75%) for DH and the lack of any meaningful rigs (like 5 hour min day), the days off are hard to come by. Because I live in base, a 12 day (13 for May, whoppiie doo) off line is livable because I'm home most working nights. I can bid B reserve in the winter months for a month off at home if I want (if I bid B I'm usually #1 or #2, your mileage may vary depending on seniority). A reserve on the 756 in EWR works almost every day.

From what I've heard 737 EWR is uncommutable, while 737 IAH is livable if you need to commute. The best advice I can give anyone starting out is, move to your base. I've done both for several different companies, and by far, living within a 2 hour drive of your domicile makes this the best part time job you will ever have. I know all of the stories of closed bases, I've lived through a few, but still it makes life 100% better to drive to work.

Thank you all. I will consider staying in B737, switching to IAH from initial hire Domicile of EWR, and bid every DFW overnight. Hours, days off, home, money, no seat lock, line holder, etc.... Thanks again all, see ya on the line...

What if you happen to live within an hour +/- drive of EWR?

That's my situation as I live 50 minutes from the airport. I bid the 777 because it's less work for more pay. It seemed like a no-brainer until the last two months (in the 737). Now I'm getting my first choice in lines and am home every day. Had I known that I would get lines like this, I wouldn't have bid the 777.

Of course, it's still hard to complain about working less and getting paid more.:beer:

Latest resources

Back