CAL pilot question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Here is a rundown....

1. Old Continental(pilots hired in the 1970's up to and including those hired during the strike) have numbers ending with a letter. Ex. 0120Z

2. Former New York Air pilots have numerical employee numbers beginning with (1) Ex. 12057

3. Former People Express pilots have numerical employee numbers beginning with (2) Ex. 25241

3. Former Frontier pilots have numbers exactly like origional CAL pilots. You will know they are former Frontier pilots and not scabs during the first 5 minutes of being in the cockpit with them, trust me.

4. Anyone who flowed over from the once wholly owned Continental Express(not only pilots but any other employee) will have a numerical employee number beginning with (8) Ex 84621

5. Pilots hired at CAL in 1987(after the strike was settled) start with numerical numbers in the (3) range. Ex 32741

6. Pilots who were a part of the Eastern deal cut after Frank Lorenzo shut Eastern down have employee numbers beginning with the letter (A). Ex. A4521. You will see (A) for other employee groups but only pilots with an (A) were former Eastern(mostly scabs).

7. All pilots and other employees hired beginning in 1997 began using employee numbers that followed a letter. For example, 1997 hires are like B7259 and 1998 hires continue through the B's and 1999 hires are (C) Ex C1375 all the way up to 2008 hires who were (N) numbers.....That's about it. No UM2148 etc.

We all actually have new employee numbers assigned to us(UAL and CAL) however we don't know them yet. I hear IT has already been busy with this.

Hmmmm..... someone said he was a CAL pilot and his number is UMxxxxxx

Perhaps a management pilot?

Management pilots don't have different #'s than line pilots. We have (M) number pilots, however the only (U) employee numbers I have seen are brand new FA's. You know who they are on the crew because they are always stuck in the 1st class galley on the 757-300 so we can abuse them....that and they only fill your coffee cup up half way as they are so scared they are going to spill something in the cockpit.

Concerning the flow throughs from Continental Express...do their hire dates reflect the date they started at mainline or was it their original date of hire at CalEX?

Here is a rundown....

1. Old Continental(pilots hired in the 1970's up to and including those hired during the strike) have numbers ending with a letter. Ex. 0120Z

2. Former New York Air pilots have numerical employee numbers beginning with (1) Ex. 12057

3. Former People Express pilots have numerical employee numbers beginning with (2) Ex. 25241

3. Former Frontier pilots have numbers exactly like origional CAL pilots. You will know they are former Frontier pilots and not scabs during the first 5 minutes of being in the cockpit with them, trust me.

4. Anyone who flowed over from the once wholly owned Continental Express(not only pilots but any other employee) will have a numerical employee number beginning with (8) Ex 84621

5. Pilots hired at CAL in 1987(after the strike was settled) start with numerical numbers in the (3) range. Ex 32741

6. Pilots who were a part of the Eastern deal cut after Frank Lorenzo shut Eastern down have employee numbers beginning with the letter (A). Ex. A4521. You will see (A) for other employee groups but only pilots with an (A) were former Eastern(mostly scabs).

7. All pilots and other employees hired beginning in 1997 began using employee numbers that followed a letter. For example, 1997 hires are like B7259 and 1998 hires continue through the B's and 1999 hires are (C) Ex C1375 all the way up to 2008 hires who were (N) numbers.....That's about it. No UM2148 etc.

We all actually have new employee numbers assigned to us(UAL and CAL) however we don't know them yet. I hear IT has already been busy with this.

What about the F/O with the letter at the end of his employee number? are you saying he crossed the picket line but didn't get on the seniority list until 2005/2006? You have essentially told everyone that he is a scab with your post here, friend.

What about the guys with letters after their numbers who don't appear on the scab list and who have hire dates after the strike was over? Are they scabs or "original" CAL guys who didn't get on the seniority list until 1985/1986 somehow? Do you think they are scabs (again, based on your post, you seem to)and call them scabs and treat them differently when you first meet them because of their employee number?

What about the guys who start with a "0"? Where did they come from?

How can I tell a former TI pilot who wears a size 9 shoe and only likes to eat pizza on Saturdays? jeeeeezus.

I'll be happy for the time period after 1. we all get new employee numbers and 2. the "CAL/UAL employee number" cross-reference list is crafted and passed around. For that short period, we will all be UNITED.

I recently flew with a former Eastern pilot who is a "B" number. WTF, man.. he doesn't fit into your "run down".

Posts like this one that you made only serve to destroy unity by pigeon-holing pilots and instilling prejudices and other pre-conceived notions about CAL pilots among non-CAL employees - based upon a number. UGH.

Sincerely,

B. Franklin

The first 3 classes of '87 have letters in their numbers even thought the strike was over; because they interviewed during the strike, but got put in the pool, then didn't get hired tell '87. If you ask them why they have $cab numbers, they just make up some kind of BS.

Latest resources

Back