CAL orders more 787's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
News to me.
Most if not all of the newhires have letters at the beginning of there employee #. The information given online is Letters at the end of all employee #'s are the mark. If I've been misinformened then please correct me. This is the rule given by current old school line capts....

Yes you are wrong and I know of two cases of the top of my head.

Check Airman who gave my IOE (one of the first hired at PE if you really have to know), told me he really appreciates this rule of thumb. You can throw in a friend of mine who is a 73 Captain (and very involved union member). He was hired in '87, but who worked ops at cal back in '81. Both these men went out of there way not to cross '83-'85, yet there employee numbers end in a letter. So they've had to carry a scab list their whole career just to prove they are not on it.

Bottom line looking for a broad brush to paint this ugly incident just leads to more ill will. Flopgut's advice in this thread is the best advice I've seen on this issue. The more you guys want to beat the over beaten scab biz around, the lousier Contract '08 will be. Time for CAL pilots to move on regardless of opinions of other pilot groups concerning actions 22+ years ago.

Last edited:
Download a seniority list (numerical or alphabetic) from the CAL ALPA website. Check the guy your flying with to see if his date of hire is within the scab window. Even then there may still be some cases where it is not correct. Just watch them fly and then you can tell they are scabs.

By the time 08 rolls around they will be irrelevant. There will be more of us then them.

There are also several Eastern scabs who slipped under the radar around 97-99. They don't have the letter after the number. The only way to tell who they are (other than flying with them) is to check the list by name.

As they say at Delta, "All airlines are alike, only people make them different."

Last edited:
Just look at the employee # on their ID's if they Jumpseat...
Last didget is a letter not a number then there you go. EX. 1234b
New hires are G1234 and M1234. Not hard to pick out.....

That is an inappropriate way. Although most who fit into your definition have those numbers also those who were FULL TERM STRIKERS from Sep 83 to Oct 85 also have those very same numbers and by your statement your statement is a slap in the face to those who held the line and did the honorable thing.

How about making it a "your" vs. "you're" thread too!!

get over it guys! What happened is past. If we keep this crap up (he's a scab...no he's a scab), NOTHING WILL GET BETTER HERE. This is ridiculous, im so sick of hearing this stuff. The whole point was to divide us with this issue, and thats exactly what you are letting management do. Why do you think they changed the employee numbers? And put it on the front of the id's. You carry a list of scabs with you? Man what they did was wrong, but if we cant find common ground, we are doomed. The pilot group needs to come together. I keep hearing that this contract in 08 will be so much better, and things are gonna change around here...well not if we keep up the same old rhetoric, nothings gonna change. And its gonna be our own faults.

http://www.fracpilot.com/ - scab list here. Flying with scabs indeed is a depressing thing - their social skills are non existing. Very, very sad and my heart goes out to 87-and-on hires who had to put up with them for so long.
I just don't pay any attention any more to what wisdom scabs have to share with me. I take a good book and try make the most of a trip.

Did anyone hear a rumor of 787's going to be based in LA? Not exclusively of course, but I heard that some will go there and there will be a pilot base.

I keep hearing rumors of an ONT base; but I think rumors of a Socal base always circulate around CAL. Are the certificates they issued today being used to finance the 737s coming next year or is this something else?

NEW YORK, March 30 (Reuters) - Continental Airlines (CAL.N: Quote, Profile , Research) said on Friday it planned to sell $1.15 billion in pass-through certificates to finance the purchase of 30 Boeing (BA.N: Quote, Profile , Research) planes scheduled to be delivered between January 2008 and March 2009.
In a filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, the company said it expected the certificates to be delivered on or about April 10.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back