• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL Nov Retirements

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Although I agree that the 147 furloughs are pawns, your understanding of the LTVRF and COLA 10 are incorrect. Both furlough mitigation programs run until the end of April 2010; that's a firm date and can not be "cancelled" by the company. The only way a pilot can come back early from COLA 10 or LTVRF is if ALL the furloughed guys/gals are recalled, and then it's only on a voluntary basis. The company can not FORCE anyone to come back before then.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was not aware of the intricacies of those programs. I think 2010 will be an interesting year. The numbers indicate a easing of the "crisis" for airlines and I wonder just how the downtown boys will react.

What's your prediction?

What's your prediction?

This is just my gut feeling, and I know absolutely nothing factual to back it up, but I think you'll see [at least some of] them recalled in time for the summer of 2010. Everything at CAL seems very calculated, and so I don't think that April 2010 was an arbitrary date for the COLA 10/LTVRF to end. CAL knows that they're going to need those guys back on line next spring, and probably all of the furloughs too. Again, it's just a guess, but I'm looking forward to having everyone back property soon.

This is just my gut feeling, and I know absolutely nothing factual to back it up, but I think you'll see [at least some of] them recalled in time for the summer of 2010. Everything at CAL seems very calculated, and so I don't think that April 2010 was an arbitrary date for the COLA 10/LTVRF to end. CAL knows that they're going to need those guys back on line next spring, and probably all of the furloughs too. Again, it's just a guess, but I'm looking forward to having everyone back property soon.

Well I hope you're correct. I've been throwing out April 2010 for a while now also as just a WAG. I also wonder what Summer 2010 will bring. I've not spoken to a single furloughee who's found employment since furlough (except Mil guys returning to duty). We'll see.

You will be surprised to see who crosses a real picket line. You and your high and mighty folks will be some of the first. I, on the other hand, have other things to do. I don't like to work now as it is, why would I cross then?

I don't doubt that you are correct regarding who crosses and who doesn't. It would probably be a very mixed bag. As for me, I've already spend 13 months on the food line. A strike would do me no harm at all.

I agree with you. There could be a significant bid timed with the end of COLAs.

Sorry, but a strike harms everyone.

It is intended as a true, last resort.

Well, to be honest, I'm not worried. I've been out for over a year so the prospect of a strike doesn't scare me. When you're on first year pay you've got little to lose. I don't have kids and I'm not married. I'm willing to bet that the ALPA strike benefit is about the same as unemployment. I've been surviving just fine on that amount of pay for much longer than I ever would have thought possible.

I am a COLA 10 fella.
There are only 64 COLA 10 folks. Somebody might want to verify that but last I checked(right before the last furlough threat).

I think a number in the single digits volunteered for Cola 11.

Latest resources

Back