CAL New Hire Insurance Recommendations

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks for all the kind replies.

How do the deductibles work for a normal doctor's visit? You don't have to pay the $1500 deductible for a normal office visit do you?

Thanks again.

Once your insurance starts up, it's pretty good. My family of 4 (non-smokers) is $88 per month for medical coverage.

Although I think the 6 months w/out insurance is absolutely garbage, I will admit the insurance options are really good here at Continental. We pay less than $100/month for a great plan with Aetna.

1500 deductible. They pay nothing until you pay that amount. A typical "i'm sick" doctors visit might be $200 bucks. So avoid the doctor if you can. If something serious happens then you are out $1500 up to your max out of pocket?? Chances are with a few minor doctor visits it will still come out less than if you where to pay $500 a month for better coverage.

I'm going to go ahead and say it. I think you're full of crap. Give us some numbers on the new folks that have left. I'll bet you can count them on one hand, possibly two. And please don't feed us any lines of "yeah, well my buddy told me it was tons," or any other BS.

1. SWA - yeah possibly. They've been hiring pretty steady so I can understand if a few folks left for them. I also know a few that left B6 and prior DAL hires that have left for them as well. Touche.

2. UPS - maybe, probably not. They're hiring window has opened and closed within days the last couple of years. Very sketchy hiring to say the least.

3. FDX - again, probably not many at all. Same deal, their window has been closed for some time (and I'm very familiar with their act).

4. DAL - YGBSM. What a joke. I heard one guy left and a couple were thinking about it...and that was from a guy who knew a guy.

Spare us your rhetoric or provide us some factual data. If not, go join Pocono for a tea party or barbie doll dress up.

Will you still leave CAL for UPS or FedEx if they call like you said a few months ago?

Do you think you will have a better chance with UPS or FedEx if you get some instrument time?

I don't know the exact numbers but it's gotten the attention of the company for sure. I personally know 4 that left for SWA. 2 had had 14 yrs of service!

I know a buddy that had his class date Moved up and was told it was due to people backing out class dates because they had class dates elsewhere.

This same new hire said numerous folks no showed the interview date as well.

Another new hire's class was told during indoc please leave now before we sink all this money into training you.

CAL types their 737 new hires. Ticket to SWA

CAL flies 757 across the pond. Apparently UPS has a strong desire to hire pilots with oceanic experience.

With a short staffed airline and sim time availability at a world wide low it's noticed when these folks bale.

I don't know the exact numbers but it's gotten the attention of the company for sure. I personally know 4 that left for SWA. 2 had had 14 yrs of service!

I know a buddy that had his class date Moved up and was told it was due to people backing out class dates because they had class dates elsewhere.

This same new hire said numerous folks no showed the interview date as well.

Another new hire's class was told during indoc please leave now before we sink all this money into training you.

CAL types their 737 new hires. Ticket to SWA

CAL flies 757 across the pond. Apparently UPS has a strong desire to hire pilots with oceanic experience.

With a short staffed airline and sim time availability at a world wide low it's noticed when these folks bale.

Ok, copy all. You know 4 people personally. That's what I thought about the extent of your "thorough database" of guys jumping ship. I'd like to add my inputs if you will be so kind...

1. Getting your 737 type with CAL is in no way a "ticket to SWA." SWA has their own hiring practices and doesn't give 2 sh*ts if you came from CAL, DAL, or Korean Air. They like to hire folks that are a good all around package and have their type. They care absolutely 0% where their type came from. And they tend to like hiring quite a few military folks as well - that's been their standard for years.

2. UPS currently DOES NOT care about folks with transoceanic experience. They did try to fill that niche for a few months about a year or two ago, but that requirement is over. As a matter of fact, the last window that UPS opened specifically DID NOT have the prior transoceanic experiece as a pre-req. Any UPS folks can expand further if they please - that's my understanding from a buddy that flies with UPS currently. So once again, your logic is off.

3. I'm sure CAL notices when a guy jumps ship. Every company notices when a guy jumps ship early on, whether it be an airline or IBM. I can gaurantee you CAL is not going to go bankrupt because a couple of dudes leave. It's not desired, but it's part of doing business. I know 3 guys hired at DAL that left for FDX and one that left B6 for SWA. Guess what, they're all still in business. I know, baffling huh.

What else you got? If you're that dissapointed in CAL's business plan, they'll do just fine if you want to take a hike. Don't let the door hit you on the a$$. Pocono can easily give you an LOR for XJet. But since they just reported a 22 million loss for Q3, I'd say CAL is doing just fine - with or without you and your 4 buddies that moved on.

I'm going to go ahead and say it. I think you're full of crap. Give us some numbers on the new folks that have left. I'll bet you can count them on one hand, possibly two. And please don't feed us any lines of "yeah, well my buddy told me it was tons," or any other BS.

1. SWA - yeah possibly. They've been hiring pretty steady so I can understand if a few folks left for them. I also know a few that left B6 and prior DAL hires that have left for them as well. Touche.

2. UPS - maybe, probably not. They're hiring window has opened and closed within days the last couple of years. Very sketchy hiring to say the least.

3. FDX - again, probably not many at all. Same deal, their window has been closed for some time (and I'm very familiar with their act).

4. DAL - YGBSM. What a joke. I heard one guy left and a couple were thinking about it...and that was from a guy who knew a guy.

Spare us your rhetoric or provide us some factual data. If not, go join Pocono for a tea party or barbie doll dress up.

Not trying to start a bunch of $hit here but I JS'd the other day to IAH from MCO. The CA who is involved in hiring told me that CAL was losing close to 20% of some classes to UPS and SWA specifically. He made no mention of DAL or FDX(who is not hiring at the moment). He claimed that these guys were leaving "within" the 1st year.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back