• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL New Hire Insurance Recommendations

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sorry, I know I am opening myself up here for anihalation, but what is a B fund, and why doesn't my company have one!! 12.75% sounds pretty nice.

HHH,

Despite what my fellow flightinfoers are telling you there is a very affordable option for insurance provided by CAL through Extend Benefits.

I was able to get coverage for my family of 3 for less than $250/month.

I don't have a number for you, but it should be in that pile of papers they gave you during basic indoc.

Best of luck HHH. CAL is not the dream job (one doesn't exists, I know because I've tried them all), but in my opinion it is as good or better than any other people pusher out there.

Welcome aboard and fly safe.

For the rest of you clowns....if you can't provide positive support to your pilot brethren then put a sock in it or PM Poccono.....

Hawg out.

Thanks for the information! Also, thank you for the encouraging words and support...really appreciate it.

A "B" fund is a retirement plan where the company invests in a professionally managed investment fund. The money invested is a percentage of your pay (added by the company), not taken out of your pay. The important point is that money is YOURS from day one and is protected from being stolen by the company in the event of bankruptcy, unlike a defined benefit plan (A-fund).

A "B" fund is a retirement plan where the company invests in a professionally managed investment fund. The money invested is a percentage of your pay (added by the company), not taken out of your pay. The important point is that money is YOURS from day one and is protected from being stolen by the company in the event of bankruptcy, unlike a defined benefit plan (A-fund).

At CAL the money is put into an account that we manage, just like our 401k. And yes all the money is ours and cannot be taken away, the only thing that happens is the amount being put into the account could change.

Lots of CAL new hires have been leaving for SWA, UPS, FDX and DAL.

With lousy pay, crappy benfits, NO workrules, and a preferential bidding system that our MEC and 90% of our pilots have agreed is a nightmare, it's not surprising.

With lousy pay, crappy benfits, NO workrules, and a preferential bidding system that our MEC and 90% of our pilots have agreed is a nightmare, it's not surprising.

Yeah, Lots!!!! From the head of flight standards we lost a whole 17 so far in 2007.

I'm going to go ahead and say it. I think you're full of crap. Give us some numbers on the new folks that have left. I'll bet you can count them on one hand, possibly two. And please don't feed us any lines of "yeah, well my buddy told me it was tons," or any other BS.

1. SWA - yeah possibly. They've been hiring pretty steady so I can understand if a few folks left for them. I also know a few that left B6 and prior DAL hires that have left for them as well. Touche.

2. UPS - maybe, probably not. They're hiring window has opened and closed within days the last couple of years. Very sketchy hiring to say the least.

3. FDX - again, probably not many at all. Same deal, their window has been closed for some time (and I'm very familiar with their act).

4. DAL - YGBSM. What a joke. I heard one guy left and a couple were thinking about it...and that was from a guy who knew a guy.

Spare us your rhetoric or provide us some factual data. If not, go join Pocono for a tea party or barbie doll dress up.

I do not know the cost of this but my insurance company....Allstate does offer medical...really high deductable. Might want to check it as a option. Just got my cobra papers today...my employer is $900 per month to continue on their plan when I leave...don't need it though. They have to legally give you this option if you did not know it...usually very expensive. Even the high deductable is better than nothing...just don't let anyone go outside!

HHH,

Despite what my fellow flightinfoers are telling you there is a very affordable option for insurance provided by CAL through Extend Benefits.

I was able to get coverage for my family of 3 for less than $250/month.

I don't have a number for you, but it should be in that pile of papers they gave you during basic indoc.

Best of luck HHH. CAL is not the dream job (one doesn't exists, I know because I've tried them all), but in my opinion it is as good or better than any other people pusher out there.

Welcome aboard and fly safe.

For the rest of you clowns....if you can't provide positive support to your pilot brethren then put a sock in it or PM Poccono.....

Hawg out.

Extend is affordable but it has a very high deductible and doesn't cover most "maintenance" type procedures. Still, it's better than nothing. Unless your wife is pregnant or you have some recurring health issues you should be able to get through the six months without much hassle. CAL also has clinics at all hubs that will see you (not your family) for free as well as provide some limited medication.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back