CAL New Hire Insurance Recommendations

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

HHH

For those of you that were recent new hires at CAL, which insurance plans would you recommend for a typical family of 4? I know the possibilities are seemingly endless; for that very reason I would like opinions on what others have used and their experiences - such as monthly premium, office visit costs, prescription costs, etc.

Thank you.

It's sad but true that you will qualify for Medicaid for your kids. It's 100% medical, dental, and vision coverage.

Another option, if your wife doesn't already work is to get a part-time job at Starbucks. I think they provide full coverage with 20 hrs. a week.

Good luck. It's a pain in the ass and demeaning but it will pay off in the end.

-minrest

It's sad but true that you will qualify for Medicaid for your kids. It's 100% medical, dental, and vision coverage.

Another option, if your wife doesn't already work is to get a part-time job at Starbucks. I think they provide full coverage with 20 hrs. a week.

Good luck. It's a pain in the ass and demeaning but it will pay off in the end.

-minrest

I think this is actually a very sensible option. A great point! Plus, you get free frapaccinos!!!!!!!!!!!

Once the demeaning 6 months w/o insurance is up, what kind of coverage can one opt for at CAL? What % is the employee responsible for?

Also, does the company really not offer a 401K match?

No 401K Matching

No match on the 401K but you do get 12.75% of your gross put into your B-fund from day 1-

I have only put a measly 10 percent of my pay into the 401K on my first year salary and my B-Fund actually has ended up with about $500 more than my 401K after 10 months.

Once the demeaning 6 months w/o insurance is up, what kind of coverage can one opt for at CAL? What % is the employee responsible for?

Also, does the company really not offer a 401K match?

There is a 401k match if the company meets certain financial targets. Which they met this year.

Extend Benefits

For those of you that were recent new hires at CAL, which insurance plans would you recommend for a typical family of 4? I know the possibilities are seemingly endless; for that very reason I would like opinions on what others have used and their experiences - such as monthly premium, office visit costs, prescription costs, etc.

Thank you.

HHH,

Despite what my fellow flightinfoers are telling you there is a very affordable option for insurance provided by CAL through Extend Benefits.

I was able to get coverage for my family of 3 for less than $250/month.

I don't have a number for you, but it should be in that pile of papers they gave you during basic indoc.

Best of luck HHH. CAL is not the dream job (one doesn't exists, I know because I've tried them all), but in my opinion it is as good or better than any other people pusher out there.

Welcome aboard and fly safe.

For the rest of you clowns....if you can't provide positive support to your pilot brethren then put a sock in it or PM Poccono.....

Hawg out.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back