CAL MD80 profile

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FreightNazi said:
I'd hold out for a much more stable operation like UPS, FedEx or SWA.
Yeah man, good call... why didn't I think of that? Now that you mention it, why not add NASA to the list, get hired on as Shuttle Commander? It'd be just about as easy...

FreightNazi said:
Why do you say that? CAL's financials are in a precarious situation, plus they will be merged into someone shortly and they will probably NOT be the surviving entity. You'd be a fool for wanting to be at the bottom of that seniority list nowdays. I'd hold out for a much more stable operation like UPS, FedEx or SWA.

Don't get me wrong, those companies are great as well, but CAL is hiring a TON and you don't have to be an "Ex-Shuttle" commander to just get the call for an interview! Their fleet is 4-5 years "average" in age and they are the FIRST 787 customer here in the U.S. They are actually THINKING ahead as far as Intl growth is concerned. When the time comes for the other majors to replace their 767's, the slots for the 787 will be sold out for YEARS! CAL will be in the "Pole Position" and moving FAST!! The possibilities of Capt upgrade being as quick as 3-4 years is unbelievable! Time will tell!;)

FreightNazi said:
Why do you say that? CAL's financials are in a precarious situation, plus they will be merged into someone shortly and they will probably NOT be the surviving entity. You'd be a fool for wanting to be at the bottom of that seniority list nowdays. I'd hold out for a much more stable operation like UPS, FedEx or SWA.

That is the most retarded thing I have ever heard. If you were offered a job (let us assume you are coming from a regional or worse) at CAL and didn't take it for hopes of getting on with someone else.....you are a moron. If you get the job and interview and get hired somewhere else...different story. I love working at CAL. The grass is alwys greener. I would make a decision based on where you want to live for commuting sucks in all aspects....better at some places, but SUCKS period.

About the SIM ride. First year pay sucks. Don't buy the prep. It is easy. Takeoff....basic call outs...chekc power...p rate gear up...400 ft heading....100 feet some callout to go faster and clean the airplane up....some airspeed...callout to get the slats retracted and after to checks.....hold....in range check....approach check....dirty up airplane and land. Follow flight director.....manage power.....ask the guy in the right seat to program everything for you. You wont even have an approach plate so just fly the FD! All the power settings and obviously a much better gouge is on aviationinterviews.com

Good luck...

I interviewed in mid August. I think there were six people there that day. You never really know because you are never together. KD said they will be ramping it up soon.

I hear the last small class is passing through, and the mass hiring should start in the next couple of weeks, as in the beginning Sept. Calls should be starting this week. Not exact but close. Good Luck

I have hear grumblings of about 60-70 a month starting in october. 70 a month would keep the training center verrry busy... but ther are 480 openings on the last system bid. I think there are 2 classes in September I guess they want to give the training folks a chance to ramp up... no point in going 0-60 in 2 seconds.

As for the ease of the sim eval... Yes they do let you use the flight director for the whole profile, and if you prepare (sim prep) its very easy. But people can and do fail the profile. At the same time people that they hire get through training at a very high rate... so I guess the sim ride shows them what the need / want to know.

Latest resources

Back