CAL MD80 profile

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
pkober said:
The sim ride is extremely easy. The entire flight is done with the flight director on and the right seater runs the MCP.

Takeoff
Two 30 degree turns
Hold (start the entry and then get vectors)
ILS to full stop.

From brake release to stopping on the runway was a wopping 11 minutes.

If you have flown in the airlines you probably don't need the sim prep.

www.aviationinterviews.com should have all the gouge.

Just my humble opinion.

Good Luck

So that's how she made it.

pkober said:
Ditto. If you're flying Beech 1900s or Saab 340s, then yes, a sim prep is a good idea... but for an RJ pilot, methinks it's a waste of cash.

When I interviewed at CAL in '97 they were using the 737-200 sim for interviews; at the time I was a DC-9 FO at Express One... same JT-8D engines, so I flew the 737 like a -9 and nailed it, no sweat. That's not to say an ERJ/CRJ flies just like an MD-80, but it'll be plenty close enough. I was given a one page handout to study, very basic on CAL calls and procedures to fit the profile; just the facts, nothing too detailed... had roughly 20 minutes to look it over, then into the box.

I don't know if things have changed since then or maybe I just got lucky, but the whole thing was a non-event... was actually quite a pleasant experience. Job offer came 3-4 days later.

Good luck!

jbDC9 said:
That's not to say an ERJ/CRJ flies just like an MD-80, but it'll be plenty close enough.

Good luck!

Except for all those funky gauges that move weird directions. If you've been flying glass cockpits for the last 5-10 years and have to hop into the "ancient" -80 simulator, it is going to take a few minutes to get your scan back. On an 11 minute sim ride for a job, I don't want to spend the first 5-7 minutes getting used to the 6 pack again.

That's just me. To each their own...

pkober said:
The sim ride is extremely easy. The entire flight is done with the flight director on and the right seater runs the MCP.

Takeoff
Two 30 degree turns
Hold (start the entry and then get vectors)
ILS to full stop.

From brake release to stopping on the runway was a wopping 11 minutes.

www.aviationinterviews.com should have all the gouge.

Just my humble opinion.

Good Luck

;)I agree, there is a guy on there that tells all about pwr settings and how to fly the entire profile. If I get the call, I believe that I will do EVERYTHING I can to be ready! Good Luck to whomever gets the call. CAL would be a GREAT PLACE to work!!!

Tomct said:
;)I agree, there is a guy on there that tells all about pwr settings and how to fly the entire profile. If I get the call, I believe that I will do EVERYTHING I can to be ready! Good Luck to whomever gets the call. CAL would be a GREAT PLACE to work!!!

Why do you say that? CAL's financials are in a precarious situation, plus they will be merged into someone shortly and they will probably NOT be the surviving entity. You'd be a fool for wanting to be at the bottom of that seniority list nowdays. I'd hold out for a much more stable operation like UPS, FedEx or SWA.

If you can't pass a sim ride with the flight director on then you really have problems. Why even evaluate someone with the F/D on. There is no scan...just a stare.

Jeeees....

Why do you say that? CAL's financials are in a precarious situation, plus they will be merged into someone shortly and they will probably NOT be the surviving entity. You'd be a fool for wanting to be at the bottom of that seniority list nowdays. I'd hold out for a much more stable operation like UPS, FedEx or SWA.

Everything you just said is based on speculation including the "precarious situation" they are in. If you hold out for "something better" then you could be waiting for a very long time. That's great if it works out for you but did you get into this business just to work for FedEx, UPS or SWA? Probably not. You wanted to fly airplanes and if CAL is willing to hire you and you say no because you are "holding out" then you are an idiot. CAL is a great place to work and probably has the best variety of flying of any airline. In my opinion you will look back about 3 years from now and say. "sh&*^T, I should have gone to CAL when I had the chance.

Good luck though!! :beer:

"Eddie's holding out for a management position"

FreightNazi said:

So is your phone ringing off the hook from UPS, fedex or SWA?

They probably sit around wishing that the guy from Flight Info would just work there. That would make one of those companies complete.

Latest resources

Back