CAL - Keeping 20 737-500's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skywdriver

Any concrete info on this other than the article that said the Russian airline that was supposed to buy these planes was unable to get financing? I have heard rumors that they will fly the planes and start calling people back in the spring. I have also heard rumors that they have a buyer. Anyone know anything???

I saw one with winglets taxi by the other day and thought....that seems like a waste [to install winglets on an airplane that is about to be retired]

I know I am not a CAL guy, but jumpseating in the CP the other day the captain showed the F/O and I a fleet projection through the end of 2010 and it showed 30 737-500s still at CAL at that time.

I know I am not a CAL guy, but jumpseating in the CP the other day the captain showed the F/O and I a fleet projection through the end of 2010 and it showed 30 737-500s still at CAL at that time.

This has always been the fleet plan since the shrinkage was announced, its nothing new. (July fleet plan in the 8k filing shows this as well.)

There are 35 73-5's that are locked up in leases that we can't get rid of unless mgmt. finds a buyer. Now that fuel prices are down, they are more attractive so they may find buyers for them?

While it would be nice to get rid of them and configure the EFIS as it was designed, it would most likely result in more furloughs and/or more time until recalls.

Last edited:
I saw one with winglets taxi by the other day and thought....that seems like a waste [to install winglets on an airplane that is about to be retired]

There are winglets being installed on some of the -300's too. The catch is that CAL isn't paying for them. They are only being installed on leased airplanes and the lessor is paying for the install.

Last edited:
Seen some of the 764IAH trips for December? Wow!! HNL-NRT then DH to IAH? IAH pilots flying to Europe then back through EWR and back to Europe then home to IAH. I kind of like it! Back at the Milford Plaza in NYC for the long EWR layovers....

Latest resources

Back