CAL internal rec

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Twotter Driver

Had my stuff walked into CAL a couple of weeks ago and was told that I was on some priority call list.
Will I get a call, and if so, how long should I anticipate it will take before I get the call?
Any insight is appreciated as this is somewhere I really want to work and I want to be ready when and if I get the call!

Thanks ahead of time for the info! TD

I was told a month when I put on the "OK to interview" list, which is probably what you are on. Start getting ready now so you're not rushed when they do call. They gave me many options to choose from as far as interview dates. Mine ended up being three weeks after they called.
Good luck. Things are looking really good at CAL right now.

Is anyone worried about the amount of debt Continental has? Is that addressed at all in orientation, or during the interview. I'm not slamming Continental. I'm just curious what the feeling among the troops is on that subject.

Jetjockey said:
Is anyone worried about the amount of debt Continental has? Is that addressed at all in orientation, or during the interview. I'm not slamming Continental. I'm just curious what the feeling among the troops is on that subject.

Were you aware when you applied that CAL is not a discount carrier and has 50+ years of operational history? If so then I don't think CAL owes any explanation to you or any other applicant as to their current debt load.

nimtz said:
Were you aware when you applied that CAL is not a discount carrier and has 50+ years of operational history? If so then I don't think CAL owes any explanation to you or any other applicant as to their current debt load.

What a stupid answer to a legitamate question.

It was brought up during my interview. The reply that I got was that CAL has about 1.5 billion in cash reserves to help them stay out of trouble until things hopefully get better. Despite the fuel prices, they actually made a little profit during the first half of the year but they expect to lose money through the second half. I don't remember the exact numbers for how much cash they are burning through. They were pretty honest about the risks and why they think they will survive with the international expansion. As with any job, there are no guarantees.
Best of luck with your interview.

When they came in and talked to us they said that all the "legacy" airlines were drowning but CAL was in the shallowest water. That seems like a pretty good explanation to me. They also said they are "buying real-estate" pretty cheap right now and are positioning themselves for the future.

Just my opinion but it is really hard to "kill" an airline. When was the last time a Major Airline actually went out of business? A couple have been absorbed by larger carriers but it's been a long time since a major airline has actually shut the doors. I'm not saying it can't happen but I think it's safe to say that CAL is in pretty good shape right now.

CAL is hiring and that should continue for awhile because of all the retirements. Unless you have job offers at FedEx, SWA or UPS I personally think CAL is as good as it gets.

Last edited:
20% of the seniority list is retiring over the next three years... that's with no expansion - there'll be lots of movement.

Latest resources

Back