• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL FUPM Bracelets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
See, a 777 FO who sees the bigger picture and pulls for everyone. I'm sure he has achieved a great QOL but does more than rub it in the faces of those junior to him. Take note SFR.

NOT TRUE!!! I was on reserve the day before the hurricane hit (IKE) and was good until the following Tuesday.

I got called for a IAH-MCO flight which would leave at noonish the day before the hurricane hit and have a 48 hour layover in MCO. I asked scheduling i fmy wife and daughter could go and he said that they could not positive space them. I said "ok, but I am telling you now that if they don't get on that I am walking off the plane". I got a call from the chief pilot for that and I told him the same thing......long story short, they got positive space tickets!! And I never heard another word!!

Stand up for yourselves!! I also asked the CPO where I should park my car because I did not want to leave it in the parking lot when a hurricane came thru. They said they did not know where else to park. Oh well, I parked in Marriot lot, underneath. Ended up being free, no attendant when I got back.

Point of story, don't listen to anyone. Be in control yourself and no CPO will bother you. If they feel they can intimidate you, they will. If they know they can't, they won't waste their time.

You are 100% wrong, this did in fact happen. More to the story, what is written in this threat is basically correct.

Jayson Baron
LEC 170 Chairman
EWR CA REP

Last edited:
me 2. I am stuck in EWR for now..

Good so I'll expect to see you at our soon to be opened LEC 170 union office (fingers crossed) and you can receive significant union education and then volunteer your time to help serve your fellow pilots.

Got news for you son, this company can afford:

1:50% plus pay raise

2: Elimination of the "B" Scale

3: Real Retirement for ALL Continental Pilots

4: Massive improvements in Duty Rigs, Work rules and Staffing Formula

5: Enhanced Scope

Etc.

Etc.

Etc.

Please e-mail me at [email protected] so we can arrange some time for you to volunteer to serve your fellow pilots.

me 2. I am stuck in EWR for now..

Good why don't you meet me tomorrow when I am in the crew room for 8 to 10 hours as I do once every week?

Why not step up and volunteer your time to help your brothers and sisters obtain an industry leading contract with massive gains in every section?

The Magenta Line
on course from failure to success
[FONT=&quot]the council 170 weekly update[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Today is Wednesday, March 25th, and there are 5 items for discussion:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Item 1: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Chief Pilots Stand Up for Our Mechanics—But Not Our Pilots[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]According to a recent clarification of FAR 121.547 (a)(3)(ii)(B), our mechanics are no longer authorized to ride our cockpit jumpseats unless they are on duty. We’ve gotten reports recently that some of our Captains have received calls from the office demanding to know under what authority they are denying the jumpseat to mechanics travelling on personal business. Our Captains have typically responded, “Um—the FARs.” The Chief Pilots have been telling our Captains that they have some sort of deal with the FAA that allows them to carry the mechanics—but have not been able to produce any supporting documentation that would allow our Captains to, oh, avoid huge fines and prosecution by the FAA and TSA. We know our pilots would like to be able to extend this courtesy to our mechanics again in the future—but we will need some written guidance from management before doing so.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]While we are excited that management is keen on getting our mechanics back on our jumpseats, we can only wish they had as much concern for the pilots who are actually entitled to this privilege. Our pilots are regularly denied the jumpseat due to CASS errors, “green screens” computers, gate agent rudeness and/or ineptness, and the general disdain for the men and women who operate our aircraft safely every day by those who do not possess our skills and professionalism.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Item 2:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Caution Needed On New Cabin Electronics[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]A recent article in USA TODAY suggests that the new and complex entertainment systems being installed in airliners around the world may not be as safe as advertised. We urge our pilots to learn as much about these systems as possible and the hazards they can create.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]See the full article here: [/FONT]
http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/2009-03-22-electronics-fires-airlines_N.htm

[FONT=&quot]Item 3:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Request for Committee Volunteers[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] All of our committees need volunteers. If you are interested in committee work or if you have special artistic talents of any kind, we want you to help your fellow EWR pilots. If you are interested or have previously expressed interest via e-mail or a phone call, please confirm your continuing interest in an e-mail to Captain Kaye Riggs, Secretary-Treasurer, LEC 170 at [/FONT][FONT=&quot][email protected][/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Item 4:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Next Meetings[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Our next LC 170 meeting is scheduled for April 8 at 1100 at the Newark Airport Marriott. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Our next MEC meeting is scheduled to begin at our union headquarters in Houston on April 21st at 1300 and run through the 24th. After the first day of the MEC meeting, business normally begins at 0900 but is subject to change based upon workload and schedule. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Please make plans to attend either or both of these meetings. Remember, Speakers’ Corner is held daily at 1300 at the MEC meeting. This is your chance to address all of your elected representatives directly.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Item 5: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Chairman’s Editorial[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I want to convey our deep and sincere condolences to our union brothers and sisters at FedEx for the tragic loss of two members of their family this past week. Due to the many tragic accidents within our industry over the last few months, my thoughts this week center on what I believe is a growing and significant problem at our airline, SAFETY![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Management defines our four operating priorities in the following order:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1: Safety
2: Passenger Comfort
3: On-Time
4: Efficiency [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]However, management needs to put an asterisk next to “Safety”. While safety is certainly an important operating parameter, management gives it a caveat: “safety within feasibility”. This is the end product of a senior management team with a bean counter mentality and a flight operations department that can’t or won’t convey to their superiors that enough is enough. If safety was truly number one we wouldn’t allow the following practices:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]A qualified and rested IRO who deadheads rather than performing his/her duties when they are most needed: on late night eastbound oceanic crossings. This practice allows management to save a handful of pilot jobs.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]A reserve pilot who is awakened early in the morning to be told to change his/her sleep cycle and “safely” operate a red-eye flight that night on the opposite end of his/her body clock. A few more pilots on the street.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]A PBS scheduling system that can legally award a pilot 15 or more days of continuous duty. This duty could legally include a west to east coast red-eye flight followed as little as 12 hours later by an outbound red-eye oceanic crossing. Two duty periods in the same day and another couple of pilots jobs eliminated.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Regarding PBS, I remember a few years ago I was receiving a random line check from an FAA inspector. I was complaining to the inspector how unsafe our new scheduling PBS system was and how this system used basic FAR’s as our sole contractual limitations. The inspector said, “Don’t rely on FAR’s to keep you safe and well rested. You need your union to negotiate far more stringent work rules and rest requirements than the FAR’s in order to be truly safe.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Last edited:
[FONT=&quot]Captain’s Authority at our airline is at an all time low. Even as a new-hire during the Lorenzo era, I never saw Captain’s Authority challenged by our fellow employees and our middle management the way I do today. I believe this lack of respect comes directly from years and years of management doing everything within their power to degrade our once great profession. Make no mistake; this comes from the very top of our Flight Operations management team. To restore the traditional and rightful authority of the Captain, each and every Captain at this airline must take it back one flight at a time and one day at a time. If you exercise prudent and sound judgment, you will always have the 100% backing and the full resources of the Air Line Pilots Association, International.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]In closing this week, I want to take a moment to mention our 147 furloughees. They have now been on the street for six months. These great men and women didn’t need to be furloughed to yield any meaningful cost savings to management. They were furloughed just because management could and for no legitimate reason other than to force us to buy their return during contract negotiations. Management furloughed our union brothers and sisters into the worst economic environment since the great depression. While our airline is outperforming the rest of our industry peers and enjoying massive fuel cost reductions that exceed any revenue short falls due to the weak economy, many of our furloughees are struggling to provide food and shelter for their families as they are unable to secure any meaningful employment. Please remember our fellow union brothers and sisters and their plight when you complain about your low line value or the lack of open time to pick up. I look forward to personally welcoming each of them back just as soon as possible.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Keep this thought in mind: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]One of the most important things you, as a union pilot, can do is Know the Contract. Management relies upon our ignorance for their benefit. Just as our benefits have disappeared over the years, so should management’s.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“Continental feels that there is no contractual reason to pay the lump sum.”[/FONT][FONT=&quot] – Fred Abbott, Vice President of Flight Operations, March 16, 2009, during a pilot meeting in Guam.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Captain Jayson Baron, EWR Council 170 Chairman[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][email protected][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]First Officer Tara Cook, EWR Council 170 Vice Chairman[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][email protected][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Captain Kaye Riggs, EWR Council 170 Secretary-Treasurer
[/FONT][FONT=&quot][email protected][/FONT]

Good so I'll expect to see you at our soon to be opened LEC 170 union office (fingers crossed) and you can receive significant union education and then volunteer your time to help serve your fellow pilots.

Got news for you son, this company can afford:

1:50% plus pay raise

2: Elimination of the "B" Scale

3: Real Retirement for ALL Continental Pilots

4: Massive improvements in Duty Rigs, Work rules and Staffing Formula

5: Enhanced Scope

Etc.

Etc.

Etc.

Please e-mail me at [email protected] so we can arrange some time for you to volunteer to serve your fellow pilots.

I was only stuck in EWR overnight, that is what I meant.

How can the company afford those things if we lost money last year? I am curious about that..

Thanks

How can the company afford those things if we lost money last year? I am curious about that..

Thanks

ROTFLMAO, you obviously are an educated man on the topic of corporate finance. There are many ways to hide money within the corporate environment. CAL is a pro at it! You my friend are not!!!
Why don't you volunteer all of that extra time you have back toward for fellow pilots? Instead of bragging about it, put it to good use. Oh! I forgot, you are way too selfish to ever do something like that! Because it's all about Sean. I bet you probably voted against the furlough help assessment... You are truly a winner Sean! Are you sure you are not a 1984 hire?

Thanks

The company can make it look real bad or real good, depending upon the direction they choose. There is always something going on economy wise, ticket wise, etc. that can be used any way the company see fit. CALALPA exposed some of this last week with the blastmail that showed that mgmt is using the lare ballon payments as an excuse. Problem is that they have these ballon payments almost every year as certian loans come due and are renegoiated. Don't belive the hype and always read between the lines.

Just look at the DNU's.....they pick and choose what t hey say. Total BS. FUPM!!!!

Latest resources

Back