• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL/DAL raise checked bag fees

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Think of how stupid the average person is and then realize that half of all people are more stupid than that (thank you George Carlin).

Awesome! :laugh:

Next they'll be charging to board first......oh wait....

Yea I never understood the 'important' people who need to board first. I prefer to board last, find an empty row and sit in it. Works 75% of the time. Yet time and time again I see 'prefered' card members etc.. waiting by the podium to be the first one onto the travelling tin can. Then I get on, observe them up front next to a fat ass with a crying baby and walk to my empty row in the back. Silly.

Last edited:
Awesome! :laugh:

Yea I never understood the 'important' people who need to board first. I prefer to board last, find an empty row and sit in it. Works 75% of the time. Yet time and time again I see 'prefered' card members etc.. waiting by the podium to be the first one onto the travelling tin can. Then I get on, observe them up front next to a fat ass with a crying baby and walk to my empty row in the back. Silly.

Empty row...that's funny!

They do it so they can stow they crud before all the space if gone. That is why business-people like to board first. They pack everything in a non-checked bag and want to have room for it.
We offer no bag fees form them but that does not help too often.

This is for the bottom half....

They do it so they can stow they crud before all the space if gone. That is why business-people like to board first. They pack everything in a non-checked bag and want to have room for it.
We offer no bag fees form them but that does not help too often.

Like ACL points out, the frequent (I say loosely because you don't have to be that frequent) traveler with a loyalty program is waived from all these fees. Bizness people don't like to check because it eats up at least an extra hour, half to check in, and half to claim your bag. Also, when I travel without a checkin, I arrive at the airport 30 min before departure, no problem, most airlines won't take your bag anymore without a least 45 mins till departure, after you've waited in line to drop off, which means you need a good 2 hours prior to departure to make sure you make the flight with a bag.
This is for the people who search online, hardly ever fly and then figure out at the airport that they need to pay this fee. They won't fly again for another half decade and the fee will long since been forgotten.
This is just for the revenue, and obviously they don't feel like they are losing too many pax to swa or they would have backed down by now. In fact I have to believe the pressure is building on the mgt at SWA to realize this same revenue stream, or at least will be by the BOD eventually (in a perfect world where the shareholders interests were really the driving concern of the BOD).
Luv

If the managers were concerned about the operation - they would charge for carryons. Check all bags for free - 40$ for carry ons. Get rid of half of the TSA - board an airplane in ten minutes. Lessen the stress of airtravel considerably. Maybe - ONE small carryon for free (NO suitcases for free).

First off...Gup wants us to keep raising fees so SWA steals market share with the No-Fee ad campaign. That's great in Cleveland or Lubbock, but there is no market share to be stolen going to Paris, Toronto, or even Nassau.

I'm all for the raising of the fees. Again, gets us back to profit. Which gets me a raise. We can thank the fine bottom-lurker management at Spirit for introducing this trend. This targets the mom-and-pop/Disney crowd and not the business traveler. All you have to do is fly a FEW flights and you get elite status and this stuff is waived.

They need to market this better by saying this fee is to hire more workers (USA! USA!) and ensure baggage arrives at it's destination when you get there. People will pay for better service. But I will say this, if they charge that much for baggage and then lose it, then that is a breach of contract and the airline should refund all the fees plus flight compensation.

Latest resources

Back