Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

General Lee

Continental Airlines document suggests huge cuts in Cleveland Hopkins flights

Published: Tuesday, August 31, 2010, 11:10 PM Updated: Wednesday, September 01, 2010, 6:40 Am

Amy Sancetta, Associated Press fileContinental Airlines regional jets would be the hardest hit in a merger with United Airlines, according to estimates in an internal Continental "Hub Stats" document.

With Joel Rosenblatt of Bloomberg News in San Francisco

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Documents presented in a federal court Tuesday suggest that Cleveland Hopkins International Airport could be in line for huge cuts in daily flights in the merger between Continental and United airlines.

A preliminary analysis by Continental said that flights on its mainline jets at Hopkins could drop by more than half, from 42 average daily departures to 20, under that scenario. Also, the analysis suggests that flights on regional partners that serve Continental -- which today account for about four out of five departures -- would plunge from a daily average of 168 to 13.

The estimates come from an internal Continental "Hub Stats" document projecting "optimized" flight networks for the merged Continental and United. They were presented to Continental Chief Executive Jeff Smisek on Tuesday by a lawyer representing 49 plaintiffs who have filed a lawsuit in U.S. District Court in San Francisco seeking to block the deal.
Joseph Alioto, a lawyer representing consumers in the suit, asked Smisek to explain the Hub Stats document that the plaintiffs obtained through pretrial discovery.

Smisek said they were prepared by Continental's "network group," which "put together their best guess given the limited information we have."
The documents were used "to get an idea of what the combined network would look like" to evaluate the merger, Smisek said.

But Smisek added that no firm decisions have been made. The data from the documents are "insufficient" to make concrete decisions, because they rely on projections, he said. Smisek said the Continental team did not have actual information from United in making its projections.

"I hope we will keep all our hubs open, but I can't guarantee that," Smisek said in court. "I don't know what we'll do because we haven't done the optimization." Reached late Tuesday, a Continental Airlines spokeswoman released a statement:

"Plaintiff's counsel is completely twisting the facts. This scenario was never Continental's intention for Cleveland. This document was taken out of context and was immediately refuted during testimony. This suit has no merit, and we will vigorously defend the merger for the benefits it provides to Cleveland travelers."

Government, business and civic leaders in the region worry that the merger could mean the loss of the airport's status as a hub and a number of flights. Hopkins has been a Continental hub since 1987. Though any reduction in flights is far from certain, the potential for such a drastic cut worries U.S. Rep. Dennis Kucinich, the Cleveland Democrat who has expressed concerns about the merger since it was announced May 3.
"This report, if accurate, is a clear indication that the Continental-United merged company has little intention of regarding the economy of the Greater Cleveland area," he said late Tuesday. "What they plan to do is beyond acceptable. It's a betrayal and abandonment of our community." Efforts to reach Cleveland Mayor Frank Jackson and Airport Director Ricky Smith after hours for comment were unsuccessful.

The airlines were sued in June over claims their proposed merger would create a monopoly, increasing fares and costing jobs. United and Continental received clearance from the Department of Justice last week to proceed with their $3 billion all-stock deal.

The new company would surpass Delta Air Lines as the world's biggest airline and tie together Continental's service to Latin America and Europe with United's strength in the Pacific. At the time of the merger announcement, Continental and United said that all 10 of the combined carriers' existing hubs would remain hubs after the merger. They also said that all destinations served by the two airlines would continue to be served.

The documents presented in court Tuesday had information for not only Cleveland but also Denver, San Francisco, Newark, Houston and other hubs. All but one showed a decrease in departures.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
September 1, 2010
EMPLOYEE BULLETIN NO. 18
CO issued the following news release today.
CONTINENTAL CEO REAFFIRMS COMMITMENT TO CLEVELAND; DENOUNCES DISTORTION OF FACTS

CLEVELAND – Sept. 1, 2010 -- Continental Airlines (NYSE: CAL) Chairman, President and CEO Jeff Smisek today reaffirmed Continental’s commitment to Cleveland and denounced legal maneuvers by a plaintiffs’ lawyer aimed at distorting the facts.

“Continental is firmly committed to Cleveland and will remain so after its merger with United,” said Smisek, who will head the new United Airlines after the combination with Continental. He referred to reports insinuating that Continental would drastically reduce its service to Cleveland as a result of the merger.

The reports were based on one of many simulations analyzed before the merger was announced, and modeled the most severe recession or disaster scenario. The simulation was promoted by the plaintiffs’ attorney in the trial of a lawsuit filed in California challenging the merger.

“Other simulations showed Cleveland maintaining its size and others showed it growing,” Smisek said. “This was never a plan for Cleveland or any of our hubs.”

“We are meeting with Mayor Jackson and business leaders on an on-going basis to ensure Cleveland maintains excellent air service after the merger. We consider Cleveland an important hub and one of our hometowns and resent this attempt to cause concern among our customers and employees,” Smisek said.

He reiterated that he expects the merger will have minimal impact on front-line employees, “including our co-workers in Cleveland.”

About Continental Airlines
Continental Airlines is the world’s fifth largest airline. Continental, together with Continental Express and Continental Connection, has more than 2,700 daily departures throughout the Americas, Europe and Asia, serving 132 domestic and 137 international destinations. Continental is a member of Star Alliance, which overall offers more than 21,200 daily flights to 1,172 airports in 181 countries through its 28 member airlines. With more than 40,000 employees, Continental has hubs serving New York, Houston, Cleveland and Guam, and together with its regional partners, carries approximately 63 million passengers per year. For more company information, go to continental.com.

Last edited:
September 1, 2010
EMPLOYEE BULLETIN NO. 18
CO issued the following news release today.
CONTINENTAL CEO REAFFIRMS COMMITMENT TO CLEVELAND; DENOUNCES DISTORTION OF FACTS

CLEVELAND – Sept. 1, 2010 -- Continental Airlines (NYSE: CAL) Chairman, President and CEO Jeff Smisek today reaffirmed Continental’s commitment to Cleveland and denounced legal maneuvers by a plaintiffs’ lawyer aimed at distorting the facts.

“Continental is firmly committed to Cleveland and will remain so after its merger with United,” said Smisek, who will head the new United Airlines after the combination with Continental. He referred to reports insinuating that Continental would drastically reduce its service to Cleveland as a result of the merger.

The reports were based on one of many simulations analyzed before the merger was announced, and modeled the most severe recession or disaster scenario. The simulation was promoted by the plaintiffs’ attorney in the trial of a lawsuit filed in California challenging the merger.

“Other simulations showed Cleveland maintaining its size and others showed it growing,” Smisek said. “This was never a plan for Cleveland or any of our hubs.”

“We are meeting with Mayor Jackson and business leaders on an on-going basis to ensure Cleveland maintains excellent air service after the merger. We consider Cleveland an important hub and one of our hometowns and resent this attempt to cause concern among our customers and employees,” Smisek said.

He reiterated that he expects the merger will have minimal impact on front-line employees, “including our co-workers in Cleveland.”

About Continental Airlines
Continental Airlines is the world’s fifth largest airline. Continental, together with Continental Express and Continental Connection, has more than 2,700 daily departures throughout the Americas, Europe and Asia, serving 132 domestic and 137 international destinations. Continental is a member of Star Alliance, which overall offers more than 21,200 daily flights to 1,172 airports in 181 countries through its 28 member airlines. With more than 40,000 employees, Continental has hubs serving New York, Houston, Cleveland and Guam, and together with its regional partners, carries approximately 63 million passengers per year. For more company information, go to continental.com.

Sounds a lot like what was said to the CVG City Council. Let's keep those fingers crossed! ORD and CLE are pretty close, though. The key during the initial part of a merger is to try to keep everyone HAPPY, and not rock the boat. A smooth merger means more bonuses for the higher ups. CVG and DTW are close too, and look how CVG has downsized and will continue to with the Comair announcement today.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Sounds a lot like what was said to the CVG City Council. Let's keep those fingers crossed! ORD and CLE are pretty close, though. The key during the initial part of a merger is to try to keep everyone HAPPY, and not rock the boat. A smooth merger means more bonuses for the higher ups. CVG and DTW are close too, and look how CVG has downsized and will continue to with the Comair announcement today.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I totally agree with you, I was just posting the propaganda ;-). Give it a few years and I think CLE will be the next CVG...

P.S. I'm glad you removed the letter from JC L***** on the Regionals board. The people that are going to be affected most by today's announcement weren't there at the time, and don't need any more salt in the wound. Good move...

I totally agree with you, I was just posting the propaganda ;-). Give it a few years and I think CLE will be the next CVG...

P.S. I'm glad you removed the letter from JC L***** on the Regionals board. The people that are going to be affected most by today's announcement weren't there at the time, and don't need any more salt in the wound. Good move...

Yeah, and I still get pooped on, now because they think I am a coward for removing it. I wasn't aiming for the people that were going to lose their jobs, rather giving them someone to aim at themselves. I don't try to make innocent people upset.

Bye Bye--General Lee

We'll have some idea when the bid comes out?

What bid? The one that's coming out "tomorrow" ;-)

I think this bid will have very few [if any] changes in the CLE base. Heck, they may even increase staffing there a little bit just to make it look good (I'm being a little sarcastic, although I wouldn't put it past them). I'm sure they're going play it cool until the merger is complete in 2012, so personally I don't think you'll see any big changes in CLE anytime soon.

"The system bid will be out by September 1st" Said date has come and gone. More lies from CAL management. But on the other hand, what else would we expect?

"can't guarantee...I don't know what we'll do..."

You can really hear the conviction.

Smisek said the Continental team did not have actual information from United in making its projections.

"I hope we will keep all our hubs open, but I can't guarantee that," Smisek said in court. "I don't know what we'll do because we haven't done the optimization."

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back