CAL Commute

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BID

Any of you CAL pilots commute from LAX to IAH? If so, is it a tough commute?

Also, is there a commuting policy, and can you reserve the jumpseat?

thank you for any information.

Yes, there is the standard 121 "Commuter policy", with a few catches to make it toughter on you. You have to give youreself 2 CAL or Express Jet flights that will get you to your domicile at least 30 minutes prior to your show. However, 24 hours prior to the first flight leaving, you have to have checked the loads, and both flights have to have at least one seat open. So you can't use two flights 12 hours from now that are both oversold, it won't count in the eyes of the policy.

No, you cant reserve the jumpseat. I dont know any passenger 121 airline that will let one pilot "lock" the jumpseat for himself. More than one hour prior to depature, the jumpseat will be awarded to the most senior CAL pilot who has requested it. If no one has requested it more than 1 hour out, from 59 minutes and counting, the jumpseat is given out on a first come first serve basis.

I heard people talking about LAX and some other places being satellite bases for CAL.
Any truth to that? Thank you.

BID said:
Any of you CAL pilots commute from LAX to IAH?

Not only do they commute from LAX, also SNA, ONT, SAN, SFO, OAK, SMF and every other possibility. There used to be a pilot and FA base at LAX. The only place worse to commute from is DEN.

EMBpilot said:
I heard people talking about LAX and some other places being satellite bases for CAL.
Any truth to that? Thank you.

Discussions betweent the negotiating comittee and the company are currently ongoing.

From last weeks MEC meeting minutes (Aug 30): ".......Company has done runs on Hawaii, Florida and Southern California to consider satellite bases and, when asked, provided data. Company has discussed a “base” concept as compared with a “satellite base” concept......"

So there is truth to it. Whether or not it comes to fruition is another story. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Since you guys are talking about commuting out of LAX- I will be based there in NOV or DEC, know of any good crash pads close to the airport? I know that United, American and Alaska have bases there but I do not know anyone based there personally.

Sorry to hi-jack this thread as I know it was directed towards commuting on Continental.

Formula 1

Latest resources

Back