• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL Class

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They want to put people with heavy time weather it be kc-135, c-17, c-5, or big transport jet into the 777. Over the RJ guys... Its a much smoother transition to the 737 from the erj/crj.

I dont know if its true but it came out of a check airman meeting that they were looking at that.

Unless a new system bid comes out in the next few weeks or so there will be newhires in the 777 in Jan or Feb by the latest.

Once you get off first year pay there might be something to be said by living in EWR making 72 bucks an hour X 76 hours for not working.

Well, whether (not "weather"!) or not it came from a ck armn meeting I highly doubt the comparison of RJ types to military types with resepct to the triple 7. In fact, I submit flying a 73 is harder because you have to fly 5 different versions of one type. On the triple you will never actually fly, as a new-hire (mainly just IRO until you get to lineholder status... 2-5 years down the road), and you only need learn one version of one type... much easier job. Furthermore, all my buddies on the 777 tell me it's the easiest plane they've every flown. The triple was designed correctly from the outset, hence it's flyability is near perfect. Whereas, the 73 (and for that matter the 756) is an airframe that has been "derivitived" to the max, hence the higher demand on the pilots to compensate for engineering limitiations (longer airframes changing landing and t/o techniques, etc).

If the company were looking at 2000 hr RJ pilots I might understand your arguement but I believe most of the RJ drivers they hire have 5-7000 hrs or more (unless a son/ daughter), hence the expereince level of the average new-hire translates into easily trainable crews.

I flew with a check airman last week who told me of a military pilot student of his who could had a hard time in training. This pilot's experience heavy jet military time. I won't get into the problems this pilot faced but it just goes to show its more the individual than a military vs/ RJ pilot type of thing. And that's all I am trying to point out.

Last edited:
More than flying

Well, whether (not "weather"!) or not it came from a ck armn meeting I highly doubt the comparison of RJ types to military types with resepct to the triple 7. In fact, I submit flying a 73 is harder because you have to fly 5 different versions of one type. On the triple you will never actually fly, as a new-hire (mainly just IRO until you get to lineholder status... 2-5 years down the road), and you only need learn one version of one type... much easier job. Furthermore, all my buddies on the 777 tell me it's the easiest plane they've every flown. The triple was designed correctly from the outset, hence it's flyability is near perfect. Whereas, the 73 (and for that matter the 756) is an airframe that has been "derivitived" to the max, hence the higher demand on the pilots to compensate for engineering limitiations (longer airframes changing landing and t/o techniques, etc).

If the company were looking at 2000 hr RJ pilots I might understand your arguement but I believe most of the RJ drivers they hire have 5-7000 hrs or more (unless a son/ daughter), hence the expereince level of the average new-hire translates into easily trainable crews.

I flew with a check airman last week who told me of a military pilot student of his who could had a hard time in training. This pilot's experience heavy jet military time. I won't get into the problems this pilot faced but it just goes to show its more the individual than a military vs/ RJ pilot type of thing. And that's all I am trying to point out.

It's more than the flying part, mil heavy guys have lots of experience taxiing around strange fields all over the world. Taxiing the 777 safely is way more difficult than actually flying it.

It's more than the flying part, mil heavy guys have lots of experience taxiing around strange fields all over the world. Taxiing the 777 safely is way more difficult than actually flying it.

Only Captains taxi at CAL. But you're headed in the right direction. If there is a concern its probably more about the operations that the 777 does. Flying the plane is the easy part. Polar crossings, Russian altimetry, Himalyan crossings, different and unique ATC procedures at many of the countries......etc, etc, etc.

Its not that any type of pilot background (mil or civ) may be better to learn this stuff but if someone allready knows it (previous heavy ops) then its a lot easier to train in a new aircraft at a new company.

No need to get your panties in a wad about who works harder. If its true its just the company trying to keep IOE times to a minimum.

Sorry to say this but the senior CAL pilots have never flown RJs and truly have no clue. Most of the captains I fly with are nice guys but think the RJs are barbie jets and don't realize that most of the avionics are nicer than the Boeings. Just swallow your pride when you come over to work here. Flying the 777 as a newhire would be cool mostly for the bragging factor. Otherwise it would kind of suck because you would be on reserve for about 10 years and would do 95% IRO flying. Almost all of your landings would be in the sim every 3 months. You spend 8 hours in the bunk. They call it snoozing for dollars which isn't bad when your senior making the big bucks, but at $29.97 who cares. At second year pay you get a big raise but you'll still be flying as an IRO mostly. Good luck to any newhires that get it and I'm sure you'll be fine in training and love the airplane.

Sorry to say this but the senior CAL pilots have never flown RJs and truly have no clue. Most of the captains I fly with are nice guys but think the RJs are barbie jets and don't realize that most of the avionics are nicer than the Boeings. Just swallow your pride when you come over to work here.

i agree. most guys think the ERJ is a toy. but, at least they put some technology into it and lightened the pilot workload. for an airplane designed during the same time as the 'Next Gen 737', the ERJ seems to have taken more advantage of the day's technology. Boeing got out easy with the NG 737 and the airlines bought into it.

i know, i know...fleet commonality for training purposes. but, if the airlines would've pushed harder we'd have a lot more friendly platform to work with in the NG 737. 757/767 is a common type with different EFIS displays and such. it can be done.

all that being said...i like the plane and hope we keep adding more to the fleet while keeping the 'Sweat Jets' (300/500).

Almost all of your landings would be in the sim every 3 months.

And it's not just three bounces and you're done. It's a full blown, 4 hrs in the box, checkride.

It's the "gentlemen's" airplane. Just know what you're getting into b4 you choose it. That is if you have a choice.

And it's not just three bounces and you're done. It's a full blown, 4 hrs in the box, checkride.

Is this true? You're kidding, right?

Latest resources

Back