• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL Class

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
According to official rumor :rolleyes: there will be 8 EWR 777 spots in Jan and another 8 in Feb...:pimp:

Would this be a smart pick for a new hire?

I wouldn't want to do it. I've flown with several CA's who have stated that this is not a good idea for many reasons. These poor guys/gals will not be treated too well by these senior 777 CA's and FO's. They will also not get many landings at all. Our contract states that you cannot bid to a smaller piece of equipment for 2 years(downbid) after training unless you are going to the left seat(upgrade). That means that these guys will be stuck being IRO's for at least 2 years then they will probably hold Captain on the 737. The 737 flies a very diverse mixture of flying from the mountains of South America to the Carribean to the busy airspace of the Northeast to the Islands of Guam. A 777 IRO is not going to be exposed to this stuff and these pilots will have a hard time moving into the left seat of the 737 after 2 years of babysitting the beast.

Just my opinion. I'd suggest these guys/gals downbid asap and get some flying time for a year then take the upgrade should they want.

IAHERJ

my train of thought exactly....

...These poor guys/gals will not be treated too well by these senior 777 CA's and FO's...IAHERJ

Just curious, why do you think a new hire would not be treated too well by their new coworkers, whatever the airplane type? Just because they're new to the company? 737 captains are going to treat you better because that is where a new hire belongs, and a 777 captain is going to make you carry his bags? Not much logic going on here.

These poor guys/gals will not be treated too well by these senior 777 CA's and FO's.

I got to wave the B.S. flag on that one. Being the most junior guy on the plane , I can speak from experience. Not to knock any other fleets crews, but the 777 guys (sorry haven't flown with any of the gals yet) have been the best, most laid back professional gang I've worked with. It is "the gentleman's airplane." True, you might get about 10 -20 landings a year (or less) and you'll most certainly be logging some bunk time (dozing for dollars) but the trips are all great (even Delhi, hey its an adventure!) and you'll have lots of time off. If serious intl. trips is what you want to do then this bird is your bag baby! I would recommend moving to near base so you won't spend two years in a crash pad though! To each his own.

Latest resources

Back