Cactus, anyone?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey Whiskey,

I have the app in. About 7 weeks ago. Unfortunetly, haven't heard anything from anyone on the inside to help it along. (Maybe they just haven't told me yet.) Is there anything I can do to help it along myself? Should I send regular updates or will that just annoy them? Thanks.

ifly34

ifly34 said:
Hey Whiskey,

I have the app in. About 7 weeks ago. Unfortunetly, haven't heard anything from anyone on the inside to help it along. (Maybe they just haven't told me yet.) Is there anything I can do to help it along myself? Should I send regular updates or will that just annoy them? Thanks.

ifly34
Ifly34,

I would always update once a month and the thought of annoying someone never entered my mind because it's the squeeky wheel that always gets the oil!!! Unfortunatly 7 weeks is almost like yesterday around here. I would just hang in there and play the waiting game and try not to think about it that much and they should get back to you pretty soon.

WD.

Wiskey Driver said:
Ifly34,

I would always update once a month and the thought of annoying someone never entered my mind because it's the squeeky wheel that always gets the oil!!!
WD.
WD,

Read the updating criteria found directly in your post further up in the thread:

*** UPDATING: Resume updates should only be submitted for:

*Change of address
*Change of telephone number or contact number
*Significant increase in hours
*Achievement of type rating or change in current employer

***Please identify your submission as an "UPDATE" for proper processing***

I would follow this if I were any of the pilots with resumes or applications in there. If not, it could be viewed as "cannot follow directions."

Kathy

Resume Writer said:
WD,

Read the updating criteria found directly in your post further up in the thread:

*** UPDATING: Resume updates should only be submitted for:

*Change of address
*Change of telephone number or contact number
*Significant increase in hours
*Achievement of type rating or change in current employer

***Please identify your submission as an "UPDATE" for proper processing***

I would follow this if I were any of the pilots with resumes or applications in there. If not, it could be viewed as "cannot follow directions."

Kathy

Yeah Kathy, I know what the company web site says but I have never followed that because companies are notorius for not wanting to be slammed by paper work. I have always thought that if they wanted to stop the paper barrage then just interview me!!! It's worked at three of the four 121 companies I have worked for...

WD.

Wiskey Driver said:
Yeah Kathy, I know what the company web site says but I have never followed that because companies are notorius for not wanting to be slammed by paper work. I have always thought that if they wanted to stop the paper barrage then just interview me!!! It's worked at three of the four 121 companies I have worked for...

WD.
WD,

I know what you are saying - years ago at AWA that WAS the way to get their attention. In fact, people were given "points" for constantly sending info to Pilot Hiring and were moved further up in the stack.

My only thought is there is a reason why they have put that in the job posting. As you have stated the women in pilot hiring are slammed without very much help.

Imagine for a minute that you are them. You see the same person updating with 10 more hours every week. Once again, you have to file that information or upload it into the computer system. After a while, you are going to resent that person because they are making your job harder. You would rather be calling or sending a letter to people to interview, but you can't because some people are "not following directions" and you are doing nothing but filing paperwork.

What the true question becomes here is the definition of significant increase in hours. Is it 100 hours? Is it 500 hours? Is it 1000 hours?

If you can get ahold of one of the women in pilot hiring and ask them that question, I think it would be helpful. Ask them also what their view is of people constantly updating.

All I can tell you is if I had that information in a job posting and someone kept sending me information that was not what I had asked for, it would tend to make me upset. It is the same thing when an ad says, "no phone calls." If someone calls, you are going to eliminate them because they can't read! :D

Kathy

Kathy,

This thing has always been a gamble and I have always felt that I have nothing to lose but time and stamps! I even had one comment from an interviewer who stated that they were willing to do what ever it took to stop the updates. My response INTERVIEW ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WD.

Wiskey Driver said:
Kathy,

This thing has always been a gamble and I have always felt that I have nothing to lose but time and stamps! I even had one comment from an interviewer who stated that they were willing to do what ever it took to stop the updates. My response INTERVIEW ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WD.
I hear ya! There are some airline still out there that follow the "update often" theory. It is just knowing who they are.

Interestingly, I had a friend who was interviewing sales people. I asked her if she had heard from a candidate I sent her. Her first question? Did they follow up? She said that she wanted someone in a sales role to be aggressive, but tempered with respect. If they did not follow up with her, they were not in the running. She made a very valid point!

Most hiring departments are not seen favorably by upper management because they are expense driven, not profit generating. So, it is difficult to justify getting additional help. I believe that is the reason many of these airlines are putting "screen outs" in their requirements, like Air Tran's 500 hours in a 121 or Jet Blue's 20,000 pound requirement.

I could only venture to guess what the reasons are for what they are putting in advertisements. I always caution people to go the "safe" route.

Kathy

Latest resources

Back