• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cabotage

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thank you freightdork and lear70 for that stunning info. I had no idea. I had always thought these foreign pilots albeit living well in their own countries, couldn't come close to earning enough to live in the US comparable to what someone who earns 6 figures can. But it appears they can, and then some. They must be living the kinda life in their respective countries much like our guys did here back in the 70's. Well, it's nice to know that it appears it's only the US pilots that bend over and say, "thank you masa (Mgmt) have your way with me".

Another brilliant post from somebody that hasn't even taken the time to find out what is the actual salary level of commercial mariners around the world, it is because of the tax burden that we put to businesses here in the states that commercial shipping has gone abroad not because of minimum wage, 30 to 40 k per year that a junior seaman makes is hardly minimum wage, I can think of a lot of folks right now that would love to be making that kind of money and have the medical benefits that they have

Yep-

Someone who has not actually taken the time to check this out:
http://www.cruisestaff.com.au/i.cfm/13/

-Skip right down to the parts where these people work 70 hours a week-7days a week. All for the princely starting sum of $1000 weekly. My points about labor laws and min wage stand validated.

Maybe you should go and become a "junior seaman" if you think it is so easy and fun to work 10 hour shifts, 7 days each week. Or get that toilet plunger out if you really want to keep yourself honest.

The point is: Exactly the same deterioration in pay and work rules is sure to happen at U.S. airlines if cabotage occurs. Don't fool yourself into thinking that any airline manage doesn't wet his pants at the thought of being able to crew 767s with people making $20k per year.

Every single executive at every single U.S. carrier has been working on cabotage for ages. You are smoking crack if you think they wouldn't do this in a heartbeat if given the chance.

Last edited:
Nice try, it took you several days to dig the information that suited your needs but try finding out how much the commercial mariners make not the floating hotels since that is a very small portion of the industry. And about me becoming a junior seaman, I almost did actually since several of my family members are in the business as captains on container ships and oil tankers my knowledge from the industry is from the inside.You really think that an industry that operates with ships that cost hundreds of millions and carries cargo worth half a billion in every shipment left the US because the deck hands pay difference between $6 vs $10 vs $8 ?, your point about the industry leaving to be able to pay below minimum wage is not validated, it is stupid. You are no longer drinking the koolaid from management telling you that your cost is the reason the airline industry makes no money, you are liquefying it with a lighter and injecting it into your veins. When are we going to understand as pilots that we are not easily substitutable, do you really believe that you can get uneducated individuals and train them as pilots just like you can train someone to unclog a toilet? YOUR skills and YOUR experience is not that easily substitutable and specially our numbers since in the states we are over half the pilots on the planet.
This notion that if you open the floodgates every pilot from South America will come to the US to work is pretty ridiculous, you guys are completely lost in terms of how much the pilots in non industrialized nations are making, 20 K a year my foot. somebody explain to me how can other carriers pay their pilots well and still be profitable and stop talking idiocy and comparing yourself with the skills and education level of a toilet plunger. How can a POS LLC like Ryanair pay their captains over a quarter of a million dollars and still be profitable in the worst economical downturn since the great depression and you get profitable airlines here in the states still intimidating their pilots into taking hits or the they will drop the "F" bomb, give me a break, the only thing I see easily substitutable is management and their ineptitude.

Cargo cabotage is, unfortunately, already here thanks to Ted "the felon" Stevens.

Latest resources

Back