Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ifly4food

ifly4food.com
There is a post below about a company called Air Atlanta. If you go to their website, their mission is scary:

The current industry trend of cutting costs and outsourcing where possible has allowed Air Atlanta to carve out a niche in a highly competitive marketplace. Air Atlanta’s position has been established and reinforced by a continuous record of fast, flexible reactions to requests, sometimes at very short notice. Aircraft can be painted in any livery, crews operate in any uniform and cabins configured to anything from full economy to completely first class. The airline offers freighters as well as passenger aircraft. Air Atlanta will discuss any problem that an airline might encounter and tailor the aircraft to provide the best solution.

Maybe ALPA should be paying more attention to fighting cabotage than it's paying to fighting RJs. Right now, Leo Mullin and the IATA are STRONGLY lobbying our government to allow cabotage (foreign airlines operating domestically). If mainline pilots think thay're being replaced now, I feel sorry for them when this hits stateside.

Last edited:
Air Atlanta is a charter/ACMI operation. What you're talking about is not cabatoge. ACMI is perfectly legal. I agree that cabtoge is an issue, but ACMI is a not.

LJDRVR said:
Air Atlanta is a charter/ACMI operation. What you're talking about is not cabatoge. ACMI is perfectly legal. I agree that cabtoge is an issue, but ACMI is a not.

I beg to differ.
While Air Atlanta is a charter company, what they are referring to in the quote I posted is taking on contracted flying for other airlines, similar to what Miami Air does. If for example an airline has an aircraft go out of service or drastically oversells a route, or whatever the reason, the airlines contract out their routes to these companies to cover them.

Right now, cabotage laws prohibit these foreign carriers from operating domestic routes, but it this were to change, this company with their "any livery any uniform" policy could be airline managements' wet dream. I know Delta would love it. This is exactly what Leo's fighting for. Why pay fat cat American pilots when these guys will fly the same route for less.

They're already outsourcing Connection. Mainline is next.

IFF,

#1. Believe me, they are outsourcing mainline, too. They have been doing it for years, on a far greater scale. Trust me on this one!

#2. I differ with your allegation that ALPA is "fighting rj's". But you already knew that! We've been discussing that to death. I don't need to repeat my points.

#2. I couldn't agree more that cabatage is a VERY big threat, as is Lott and McCain's latest bill attempting to alter the RLA to deny us our right to self-help. I urge every ALPA member to contribute to the PAC, as well as write your elected representatives and let them know your viewpoints. The rjdc get the most attention here, but it is far from the only current threat to our profession.

Cabotage

I wouldn't presume to say that I understand all the RJ scope ramifications. I don't. But, I agree, we should all pay attention to cabotage. It seems that with RJs and scope, pilots are beating up each other, and that is indeed management's wet dream. Throw in the mix foreign crews flying our routes, and probably for far less money than is paid U.S. crews, meaning us, and management has a wet dream big time.

O.K. I'm now fully awake. See what happens when you sleep in late and then get up and just start typing? I'm curious, do any current pilot contracts contain language concerning ACMI usage?

Please pardon my ignorance here, just a dumb charter pilot trying to learn.

Cheers

Okay, I must admit that I don't know much about cabotage, so please be kind when you answer my uninformed question.

Recenty, I heard an official of some sort, probably a congressman, who said that cabotage would be okay, as long as we had the same rights to other countries markets. In other words, if British Airways can fly from London to Miami, and then on to LAX, then United can also fly from Chicago to London, and on to Manchester. It is true that this would open up domestic markets for some foreign carriers, but would also mean the same deal for our carriers.

So, would this be a bad deal, or a good one? Isnt' it the same thing as Japenese cars being sold in the US, with a good tarrif attatched to make it fair? Please educate me. Thanks.

Don't know nothin' 'bout cabotage...

...but MIA-LAX vs. London-Manchester sounds like Apples and Oranges to me.

Some trade.:rolleyes:

ifly4food said:

Maybe ALPA should be paying more attention to fighting cabotage than it's paying to fighting RJs. Right now, Leo Mullin and the IATA are STRONGLY lobbying our government to allow cabotage (foreign airlines operating domestically). If mainline pilots think thay're being replaced now, I feel sorry for them when this hits stateside. [/B]

Perhaps, instead of expulsion, you will allow me to enlighten. Section 1 F 9 of the Delta PWA:

The Company will join the Association in opposing any change in U.S. law that would permit foreign air carriers to engage in cabotage.

Care to revise your post?????

Now if you want to talk about baseball style arbitration, we would probably agree there.

Puff

Our biggest headaches are Part 129 carriers that are coming here to the U.S. and underbidding our traditonal business. We have lost over 20M in revenue to these carriers this year alone, consequently we have guys out on the street.

Latest resources

Back