Cabotage Alert!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I did my part...

Just finished writing both of my Senators to express my dismay with this provision. The ALPA link makes it real easy, so there's no excuse for ALPA pilots to not write their Senators. Assuming they're not on a trip, anyway. And yes, Ligeirinho, I do remember who is doing this to us. He will definately not be receiving my vote next year.

Like I was saying......

People use all sorts of time on the "mudslinging" threads ("which airline do you hate most": 2296 reads, "Scabs at Jet Blue": 2937 reads), yet something that could hose ALL our careers comes up and it goes realatively unread ("cabotage alert": 857 reads).

Amazing......

These will be the same people who will scream bloody murder in 3-4 years as "BFE" airline from Outer Slabobia starts taking their flying if this passes.........:rolleyes:

Make an Effort

I sent Western Union telegrams to both of my senators. I also e-mailed both of them. I also telephoned both of them. Today I will call them again. This is a big deal. It should matter to you.

Please don't be passive - take 5 minutes to try to save your profession.

"He who sloths dies farting." Benjamin Franklin in Poor Richard's Almanac

Never thought of that...

Purple Haze: I know this sounds idiotic, but I never thought of phoning my Senators. Did you actually get to speak to anyone? Or did you just get a recording?

Please don't be passive - take 5 minutes to try to save your profession.

Heck, the ALPA web page even gives you a canned response to send to your Senators. All you have to do is fill in your personal info, and hit SEND.

DONE!!!!!

Calling Washington

UpNDownGuy said:
Did you actually get to speak to anyone? Or did you just get a recording?
Depends what time you call. From 8-5 Eastern Time, you get a staffer -- after that you get voicemail.

I much prefer the staffer. Tell him/her your name & town (so they know you are a constituent). Tell them you are calling about H.R. 2115, more specifically about the amendment added to Section 529 which would allow foreign air carriers to carry cargo through Alaska. Tell them the U.S has longstanding laws prohibiting cabotage (sounds like "sabotage"), and you are counting on your Senator to support you in rejecting this amendment which is bad for America.

Be polite and courteous. I presume they tally all the calls received by constituents each day and give the Senator a spreadsheet. This would show the Senator at a glance, where their people are energized and where they stand. The few times I have spoken with my Congressmen in person, they have told me this communication makes a difference. When they hear nothing they assume no one is concerned about it -- then politics prevail. The form of communication they really like is a short hand-written note briefly addressing one issue -- these are very busy people.

Just called...

Both of my Senators. The good news is that the staff people knew what I was talking about. It was obvious they'd received other phone calls on this issue. Please take the time to call folks. This is a big issue.

Good to see you guys keeping abreast of current events that affect our industry and calling on your elected officials in government to do something about it.

As a question, is there any positive side to this cabbotage issue? Such as US carriers, both cargo and passenger, being able to compete in foreign markets. I would think any foreign carriers would have to think twice about wanting such an agreement, if they knew that it would be opening the door to US carriers being able to operate within their turf?

Latest resources

Back