Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PastV1

Alert! Alert!

Sen Ted Stevens from Alaska has attached an amendment to the FAA Reauthorization Bill in the senate. This amendment will allow for Cargo Cabotage out of Anchorage, AK. Please contact your senators and express your outrage at this. Let them know what bill that you are talking about and about Senator Ted Stevens Cargo Cabotage Amendment. This is the camel getting his head in the tent. Next will be passenger cabotage.

For all you FedEx poolies, call your Senators if you wish to come to work here! If this happens we may all be in trouble!!

Past....

Info from ALPA

Reposted from ALPA (please remove or contact me to remove if this violates some copyright or something)

On Thursday, October 30, 2003, the U.S. House of Representatives on a largely partisan vote of 211 to 207 adopted the Conference Report on the FAA Reauthorization Bill. The Conference Report is now pending in the U.S. Senate and could be scheduled for a vote at any time in the next few weeks. ALPA is working vigorously to defeat the legislation in its present form, which includes a provision on cargo cabotage. The legislation, if passed with this provision, would have grave consequences for the professional future of U.S. airline employees.

The provision would change longstanding U.S. law and policy on cabotage that requires that the transportation of passengers and cargo in domestic markets be done on U.S. air carriers, by allowing cargo cabotage through Anchorage via a code-share agreement. For example, the provision would allow Air China, the national carrier for the People's Republic of China, to pick up cargo brought into Anchorage from Tokyo by Northwest Airlines and transport it to New York. However, it does not grant any reciprocal rights for U.S. carriers. ALPA's President, Capt. Duane Woerth, in a letter to the House of Representatives, urged members to oppose the Conference Report, saying, "...the [cargo cabotage] provision is the first step toward the shipment of U.S. airline jobs overseas" and would be detrimental to the overall health of our domestic airline industry.

People will spend hours and hours on this board "discussing" items like scope-clauses, unions, scabs, etc. and how they are all screwing their career.

Yet something that will eventually have a MAJOR impact (and a bad one at that) on our careers like this comes up, and so far hardly a blurb.

If this passes, the "camels nose is in the tent," and while it is cargo out of one city right now.......just wait for a few years. All of our careers will be in the sh1tter as foreign carriers start to fly all over our country.

I did a little research today on www.thomas.loc.gov. I think I found the verbage. It's from a conference report (HR 108-334) on House Resolution 2115, FAA Reauthorization Bill.
I must admit, I don't know exactly what this verbage implies, or could ultimately allow, exactly. But it seems this is the latest, agreed-upon version of the bill as of 30 SEP 03:

72. AIR CARGO IN ALASKA
House bill
No provision.

Senate amendment
Permits cargo to or from a foreign country to be transferred to another airline in Alaska without being considered to have broken its international journey.

Conference substitute
Senate amendment. This subsection does not apply to transportation of passengers and does not permit the Secretary to authorize a foreign air carrier either to take on for compensation at a place in the United States cargo having both first origin and ultimate destination in the United States, or to engage in service that contravenes any bilateral or multilateral agreement between the United States and any foreign state. Alaska's geographic location and distance from the contiguous 48 States creates special needs, challenges and opportunities. Alaska has a unique geographic location as a technical and refueling stop for all cargo services between Asia, on the one hand, and Europe and North America on the other. A `term arrangement' is a cargo relationship between air carrier(s) and foreign air carrier(s) on an ongoing basis, including, for example, preferential rates or joint marketing up to and including a full cargo alliance.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/cpquery/R?cp108:FLD010:mad:1(hr334):

Last edited:
We should also think about who is leading us right now to all this bad bills plus huge internal deficit. And remember next year when going to vote. Because even if the economy react this doesn't mean jobs. Plus we had 3 years of high unemployment with several families seling everything to buy food, not counting our fellas pilots for some majors that still on furlough. So we have to think about to clean up in 2004 the dirty that got there in 2001.
I will talk to my senator.

People will spend hours and hours on this board "discussing" items like scope-clauses, unions, scabs, etc. and how they are all screwing their career.

I'm just gonna spend hours on this board watching Stillaboo's avitar. I can't find the words to express my appreciation.

Just goes to show that Ted S. is all about AK politics not about FedEx or UPS.

This is the same guy that prevented DHL Airways/Astar Air Cargo from getting anymore CRAF charters because we are supposedly foreign controled......now he wants cabotage on cargo to ba allowed?! Unbelievable.

I think you'll find that FedEx and probably UPS are probably in favor of cabotage. Not for labor issues, but for the potential market.

Latest resources

Back