• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cabo San Lucas

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I recommend both the Crowne Plaza and the El Presidente, both in the San Jose part of Cabo. Out of the two I'd say the Crowne Plaza hands down.

But either will keep you entertained, and all the all-inclusive food and alcohol you want to drink.

The El Presidente seemed to have a lot more younger, college-age crowd as its clientelle - which is not too hard on the eyes! Down side of the resort is that its the last resort on the "strip" and its not really around anything at all. Always a long taxi ride, or miserable walk, to anywhere you want to go.

The Crowne however is located in a very good place and has a lot more to do around it. It also has a 6 story obsevation tower you can go up to and get an awesome view of the town (especially at night!).

Either way, you have fun and have a beer for all of us!

Last edited:
We go to Cabo several times each year. I don't like to stay in San Jose Del Cabo (next to the airport). We usually get a car and drive to Cabo San Lucas. It's cheaper to rent a car than take a shuttle. Hop on travelocity and you'll get all the car rental places at the airport. Find the one w/the lowest price then call them yourself. You can get a great little car for $15-20/day. For lodging, we always stay at the Melia San Lucas. They got a good restraurant on premisis, the rooms are nice, clean, quiet and within walking distance of anywhere you’d want to go.

What to do? Go to the beach, eat, go to the beach, eat, go to the beach, drive to Todos Santos (Watch out for all of the cars from Oregon.), eat, and be sure that you go to the beach. If you don't want to go to the beach you can always stay in your room and watch Ashlee on the TV until you're ready to puke. :puke:

When it comes to handlers, we used to use Universal, but we started using the individual that Universal contracts with in Cabo and we get exactly the same service for quite a bit less money. If I were flying down there privately I'd probably not bother with getting the help - you can go to the AOPA website and do a search on Mexico. You'll find what is essentially a "Flying to Mexico for Dummies" article. However, when it comes to flying the boss and his guests, it's worth the extra cost to avoid their having to stand in lines, whip out their wallets, etc. Handlers make the process smooth and transparent.

Have fun.

'Sled

And if you stay at the Melia San Lucas...which I think is the best bet in Cabo San Lucas...make sure you spend time at 'The Office'...but the rule still stands...when your a$$ hits the sand, it's time to go home...short stumbling distance to the Melia...they'll even point you in the right direction!! Also, at the Melia, we have gotten 'crew rates' in the past...call ahead and ask...!?!?

P.S. And don't forget 'The Trailer Park' (Los Colondrinas) to eat...try the shrimp diablo...

I really like the Hilton. Its halfway between San Juan del Cabo and Cabo San Lucas. Fantastic service and great property. Last time we were down there the bellman had a margarita in my hand before I finished checking in. Definately would want a car however if you stay there. You can catch the bus into town but the schedule is not very flexable and they come back quite early....well 11pm is the latest I think.

We have stayed at the Crown Plaza as well. I don't like that one as much. Nice as nice of a property. The all-inclusive is nice but the food honestly is better at the Hilton.

If you haven't been to Cabo San Lucas its worth checking out. Squid Row gets a bit crazy after midnight. Sammy Hagars bar Cabo Wabo is down there too. They have live music every night, lots of tourists, big stage, big speakers that kind of thing.

San Juan del Cabo is more relaxed. More restaurant/shopping type stuff. I honestly haven't explored much around there this is just what I have been told.

There is a Surf shop along the beach about halfway between the two towns too. You can rent a board all day and get a hour lesson for about 50 bucks. One of the guys I fly with is a surfer so we go when we can. I do more paddleing than surfing but decent beginner and advanced beaches down there.

Finally, when going in there last time we flew in circles for over an hour. No Radar so they will stack you up and send you in one at a time and have you fly racetracks while you wait your turn. It was the busy season but I was glad I had put on a bit of extra fuel for the trip.

Have fun, I love that place

Cabo

MMSD is a good time to say the least. I would definatly check out the legendary spots like El Squid Row, gigglin marlin, cabo wabo, etc. When you are ready for some great food, I second the "Trailer Park". Don't eat for about 2 days prior as they will bring you portions 4 families could eat from for days. My recommendation is the surf and turf combo (ribeye and coconut shrimp).

I can't remember if it is MMSD or Cancun that has the Harley rental place, but if it is there, give that a shot. It's a good time seeing the country along HWY 1 from a bike. No license, no worrys. a 20 usually clears that up real quick. For what it's worth, I think the Casa Del Mar is a nice place to stay, but I think it is pretty big $$$, not too sure as the company set it up and I never bothered to convert the pesos to americanos when I checked out. Casa Del Mar rooms have a view of the water you will never forget.

Have a great time and don't forget to drink a cold one for all of us stuck in the cold a$$ US this time of year.

Enjoy

Kevin

I go to mmsd about 2 times a month and have stayed all over. I second the spots already mentioned, but if you want to stay on the beach and not be in cabo, the Grand Baja is nice and reasonable. Much closer to san jose, very close to the end of the toll road from the airport. It is very new and has been open I think only a year or so. We got ocean view upper floor suites that were huge and reasonable ($150) a night. Not a whole lot as far as nightlife in walking distance, but they do have a good pool bar. Have fun.

royal solaris is great, ask dora one of the entertainers if you get there, she can help you!

Also if you go downtown cabo marina fiesta is hot!

visit cabo wabo, giggling marlin and el squidrow great place to party!

I'm getting conflicting intel on Pax entry requirements.

The US DOJ says this:

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS: The Government of Mexico requires that all U.S. citizens present proof of citizenship and photo identification for entry into Mexico. However, U.S. citizens have encountered difficulty in boarding flights in Mexico without a passport. The U.S. Embassy recommends traveling with a valid U.S. passport to avoid delays or misunderstandings. However, U.S. citizenship documents such as a certified copy (not a simple photocopy) of a U.S. birth certificate, a Naturalization Certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Citizenship are acceptable.

Air Routing is telling me this:

ACCORDING TO OUR AGENT IN MEXICO, PASSPORTS ARE MANDATORY.

What's the real deal? My lead pax is pretty savvy, and will likey have the same DOJ intel that I do. Naturally I want to avoid any issues south of the border, but I want good intel.

IMO, I would think the Mexican handler word rules, and that's just the way it is and the heck with DOJ. It's a US Gov't operation anyway. And I got no prob with that.

Last edited:
ultrarunner said:

The US DOJ says this:

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS: The Government of Mexico requires that all U.S. citizens present proof of citizenship and photo identification for entry into Mexico. However, U.S. citizens have encountered difficulty in boarding flights in Mexico without a passport. The U.S. Embassy recommends traveling with a valid U.S. passport to avoid delays or misunderstandings. However, U.S. citizenship documents such as a certified copy (not a simple photocopy) of a U.S. birth certificate, a Naturalization Certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Citizenship are acceptable.

Air Routing is telling me this:

ACCORDING TO OUR AGENT IN MEXICO, PASSPORTS ARE MANDATORY.

What's the real deal? My lead pax is pretty savvy, and will likely have the same DOJ intel that I do. Naturally I want to avoid any issues south of the border, but I want good intel.

IMO, I would think the Mexican handler word rules, and that's just the way it is and the heck with DOJ. It's a US Govt operation anyway. And I got no prob with that.
That sounds about right. I live in San Diego and we're constantly driving the 25 miles over to Tijuana to take advantage of the fine dining, low cost dental and medical care, and of course the great shopping. The last I heard you can still use a drivers license to get back, but they prefer a passport. They are going to require the passport at some point in the relatively near future - maybe the future is now? Normally stuff like that makes the local news here in paradise, but I haven't heard anything.

I'd simply tell your passengers that you're getting some conflicting information from the local people in the know and that to be one the safe side they'd better be able to produce a U.S. passport. If any of them need a passport on short notice it can be done - it just costs a little more.

'Sled

ultrarunner said:

Let's put it this way.. it all depends on how much money you have!!!

Seriously though.. I Lived in Cabo for about 3 months and is a great place.. iF you decide to park your airplane at the CSL airport insted of MMSD it will save you some dough.. you can call a cab (about $20) into town and rent a car there... just make sure to bring a box of candy bars and give it to the local military guys.. they will keep watch on your bird... Our king air was parked there for the entire time and was never touched.. no hangar space avail and keep enough fuel to go back to MMSD when you leave. Have a great time!

Latest resources

Back