Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

9GClub

Hi guys,

Got a '66 182J at school with extended range tanks (39 gal). They're of the [pain in the butt] bladder type. The right-hand cell has a laceration in the integral nipple where it passes through what looks like the wing butt rib and joins the aluminum fuel line in the fuselage. Wow that's a lot of anatomical lingo. My inclination is to replace the whole cell because it's raining fuel like crazy through the root fairing and onto the fuselage-- or at least it was until we drained the tank. Incidentally, there's also an AD out (84-10-01 R1?) that addresses possible wrinkling of the bladder on the bottom surface, possibly trapping water behind the resulting "dams" and subsequently ruining your day. Apparently the gas caps also suck if the seals aren't in perfect shape.

It appears that Cessna has built yet another winner.

Question: From a practical and/or legal standpoint, would it be even remotely appropriate or possible to attempt a repair to the integral nipple or am I looking at a full $900 replacement of the cell?

I appreciate your help.

Bad news is that there is no field repair for a deteriorated nipple. its not really a bad job to replace, but you just have to grin and bear it. The good news is that you won't have to worry about it because its not preventive maintenance. There are some serious ramifications if the new unit is not installed correctly, many of which would terminate a flight in unfriendly circumstances, ie, fire, premature fuel starvation, and inability of not having the full capacity inside.

If its been a while since the mating wing tank has been changed, you may want to do both at the same time.

ERJ,

I appreciate the info, thanks. I had a feeling we'd have to replace it, but hopefully it won't be too bad. I'm an A&P student, so I actually WILL have to deal with it personally, but I'll learn a thing or two I'm sure. The ER configuration (39 gal. each) on the 182 incorporates two circular overwing access panels for each cell, and apparently the whole cell has to come out through one of them. I've only glanced at the manuals, so I'm not sure whether the cell has several snaps to secure it or if it's secured by clips or brackets, but regardless, I guess you have to reach everything through the two holes. Loads of fun. I haven't checked the a/c records either, but since this particular plane is basically only used for ground ops practice, I wouldn't be surprised if it's not in compliance with the AD. If I remember correctly it didn't call for cell replacement, but any wrinkles were supposed to have been dealt with. We'll poke a flashlight in there and see what we can see.

I've changed many fuel cells on lots of types of aircraft. The long range cells on the single engined Cessna's are easier since they have the second hole, than the standard tanks with one access hole. I've installed tanks from single and twin engined Cessna's, Piper Aztecs and Commanche's and Aerostars. to B-17 tokyo tanks, to PB4Y-2 main fuel cells. Many of the Beech's use a nylon cord to lace the cells to the roof of the cell liner. You'll learn a whole new vocabulary when trying to get the clips in in the outboard corners. And remember, lubrication is your friend. The best things in life are lubricated. Remember this when installing the hard lines in the nipples. Since this is a training exercise, be sure to torque the clamps on the fittings in the nipples too. The fuel sender (transmitter) has five attach screws, be sure to mark its orientation for re-installation so that the screw holes line up when you put it back in.

Be sure to cover anything sharp before installing the cell, too, and ensure it's secured at all points.

4Y's, huh? I imagine we've worked on the same airplanes.

In relation to what Avbug is talking about, duct tape the sheetmetal on the access holes so that the tank bladder can't get scraped on the edge of the access hole. Inside the tank liner, all rivet heads, seams, corners also need to be covered with duct tape to prevent abrasion to the bladder.

I've done tanks twice in 182's. One thing that made the instalation go easier was buying the same brand rebuild as I took out. It took me one set of tanks to learn this but the second time was much easier. I think it has to do with exactly where the snaps line up...

The main factor in making this 'easy' (haha) is not to try it in a hangar at 25F. If that bladder (and airplane) is not warm and supple ie room temp, it will triple your aggravation and workload.

Because of a 182's inverted flight tanks, you'll never get on to do a 4 G negative pushover...

the story of a flat spin in a tomcat in the mil section inspired me.

Latest resources

Back