C172 or C152?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

meyers9163

Currently I am thining about knocking off my PPL and then going to Skymates roughly in Jan 2007. I am a junior in college and want to get started however I could save nearly $2000 by doing it in a 152. Does this matter when I go down to a place for training or is it just a matter of having your PPL that counts. Just wondering what will happen if I do it in a 152 instead of 172 and what thoughts are out there about that. I would not then have to do more training in a 172 would I? Just wondering.

All you need is the PPL. They don't care how you get it, heck, get it in the space shuttle for all they care. A PPl is a PPL.

As for the 172 vs. 152, I'd do it in a 152. Good airplane, easy to fly and cheaper. After you get your private in a 152, a 1-2 hour checkout is all that is needed in a 172 to get you qualified in that.

152 for sure.

jumppilot said:
As for the 172 vs. 152, I'd do it in a 152. Good airplane, easy to fly and cheaper. After you get your private in a 152, a 1-2 hour checkout is all that is needed in a 172 to get you qualified in that.

I'll second that. I did my private in a 152--no regrets, and no trouble transitioning to the 172, Warrior, Katana, Cherokee 140, Arrow, etc. The 152 is a good little airplane.

-Goose

Go to a place that has nice shiny jets to get your PPL. A 747 would be a nice but an ERJ would be sufficient. Just kidding. Actually save some money and do it in a 152. They actually do some pretty sweet aerobatics for what they are.

A 152 will do all kinds of sh!t... while I was under the hood doing unusual attitudes, my CFI put us in a barrel roll. That sure was unusual. Not recommended...but it did it.

The 152 would still be my best pick for the PPL... unless you're Yao Ming.

MFR

Latest resources

Back