Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

unreal

Hi everyone,

I've been on a bit of a kick lately about proper piston engine care and management. I've been doing a lot of reading especially about in-flight mixture settings, and how they affect CHTs and internal pressures. I broke open the C172 PIM today and read a bit about proper leaning techniques while in cruise. My school has always taught "50 degrees ROP," even during cross country training flights where the students will calculate fuel burn using the tables in section 5 of the PIM. I'll admit that I've taken that a bit for granted and never really looked into it until recently. Now that I have, I've noticed a bit of an inconsistency in what the PIM recommends for leaning the mixture during cruise flight.

The first paragraph that grabs my attention is this:

In addition to power settings, proper leaning techniques also contribute to greater range and are figured into cruise performance tables. To achieve the recommended lean mixture fuel consumption figures shown in Section 5, the mixture should be leaned until engine RPM peaks and then leaned further until it drops 15 to 40 RPM.

That was a bit surprising to me, actually. I've been hearing everyone drone on about "50 ROP" for so long, but it seems that Cessna is actually recommending LOP operations for cruise planning when fuel burn is a concern (i.e. cross countries). It seemed at first as though that what I'd learned was inaccurate, until I turned the page.

The next page then says that if operating at or below 75% power, the EGT gauge may be used to lean the mixture instead. It then shows a chart that has two mixture settings: "Recommended Lean," and "Best Economy." "Recommended Lean" is shown on the chart as 50 degrees ROP, and "Best Economy" is shown as Peak EGT. Now, my question is, why would Cessna on the first page publish that LOP is appropriate for cruise when using the Section 5 cruise charts, but then on the next say that ROP is appropriate for cruise with an EGT gauge? My feeling is that the LOP setting is for use with those cruise charts, whereas the ROP setting may be just a "general" setting for when cruising around in general. Would I be correct in that assumption?

This POH isn't written extremely well, and I want to make sure that my students are taught cross country flight planning correctly, so I'm just trying to get to the bottom of this. I personally like the LOP idea, considering it's cooler and uses less fuel, but I want to make sure that they are getting the published fuel burn and performance numbers when in-flight.

Last edited:
I think most mechanics would agree that they'd rather burn a little extra gas and clean a few plugs than deal with an engine that has been run with too high of an EGT/CHT, hence the common 50 ROP rule.

On the other hand, as a traffic watch pilot cruising around with 2100 RPM and cool CHT temperatures, I find even 50 ROP leaves deposits on my plugs, so I'm interested in this LOP technique. I'll have to read into this.

50 ROP results in greater cylinder head temps than peak EGT.

Hence why I wonder Lycoming publishes that 50 ROP is their recommendation for "optimum service life" (their words). 50 ROP is going to cause some of the highest CHTs and thus, higher wear.

The perfect mixture results in the most power, but also the hottest temps.

pp18d.jpg

50 ROP is the best compromise between power, fuel flow, and temps. It is just outside the dangerzone of high temps, but almost the maximum power the engine can produce.

The danger zone for detonation is 50 degrees either side of peak EGT. Stay out of this range if at all possible.

Your basic cessna dosen't give you much help finding the proper mixture unless it has an EGT guage.

If it were my engine, I would use a richer mixture for the time I wanted speed, and a LOP mixture when I wanted range.

Sorry for asking, but what exactly does "50 ROP" mean? I own a 172 and usually just lean until I see a drop in RPM, then screw it back in a turn and a half. If there's a better way, I'd definitely like to know. Thanks!

Latest resources

Back