C130 Gunship Footage from Afghanistan

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Draginass said:
ms6073's post is about the most idiotic thing I've read all month.

Freedom of expression... what a wonderful thing... perhaps ms6073 would prefer more U.S. casualties just to "properly" kill the enemy.

Originally posted by ms6073
...isnt using a 40mm boffers or 105mm cannon on soft targets retreating from the AO a little bit of an over kill? uppose this was footage from an Iraqi...aircraft firing large bore cannons...on US Special Forces operators? I think we would be hearing Colin Powel or Donald Rumsfelf crying foul...
You make a valid point. Despite what everyone else here has said, you should be commended for your sense of chivalry and honor. I wish we lived in a world where your way of thinking was realistic.

Let's not forget that we're talking about an enemy that flew two large-capacity non-combatant passenger aircraft into two high-density commercial office buildings with no warning and no formal declaration of war.

Any right that these people had to fair treatment was forfeited on the morning of September 11, 2001. Maybe we've become more civilized over the last six decades...I don't think anyone who was at Pearl Harbor shed any tears for Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

(By the way, I never flew the AC-130...but I believe it has, among other things, a 40mm Bofors cannon...not "boffers.")

Last edited:
Flamebait!

MS6073,

Your reply has got to be flamebait or a very uneducated statement about something that you know very little about.

The 105 is useless against armor. Unless it hits and takes out the track of an armored vehicle, the 105 will bounce off of most armored vehicles. The 105 rounds they are firing are HE or anti-personel rounds. The rounds will actually detonate above the ground and frag personel in the area. It's not overkill. That's what it is designed to do.

The jabs at the Air Force or old and outdated. I was in Afghanistan three weeks after 911. The unified effort and commaraderie(sp) among all the branches of service was an awesome sight to see. The statements made by ms6073 DO NOT reflect how army personel felt about air force personel. I'm happy that ms6073 is not in the military anymore.

What in the hell is the "community"? I've never heard of that unit. Please enlighten me. If you were SF or Delta(Red Roof Inn), just say so. You sound like some wannebe who has watched too many Chuck Norris movies.

If you think that the joint forces in Afghanistan were using too much force and being cowboys, you are wrong. We were actually mad dogs, foaming at the mouth, killing anything within country that posed a threat.

I wasn't going to reply to this originally, but your jabs at the Air Force have pi$$ed me off because AF personel died over there. You are way out of line. Unless you were there, KNOCK IT OFF. You would be a great guest commentator on CNN. Some Jacka$$ who thinks they know everything.

OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SR

darn.. that was a funny post... I needed a good laugh tonight....

"overkill".... he he...

Ya know, these folks are supposed to be prepared to "fight to the death"... Isn't it the American way to automate things and increase productivity? Maybe we can just mail them some 9mm rounds so they will just save us all the effort and shoot themselves... he he...

that's great... and a "vet" no less....

What next, Gore in '04?

g'nite all:eek:

Once more into the breach, dear friends, once more;
Or close the wall up with our English dead!
In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
As modest stillness and humility;
But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
Then imitate the action of the tiger;
Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood,
Disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage;
Then lend the eye a terrible aspect.

For all the AF personnel who took offense over my comments, I offer my sincere appologies. Afterall, we all bleed the same color blood regardless of what path led us to the battle field whether we are on the ground, on ship, or in the skies above! As for the wannabe comment - next time you are at Ft. Benning, how about taking a few moments to pay your respects to the Queen or buy a brick for the Ranger Memorial!

Happy New Year!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back