• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

atafan

Hello,

I'm new to this site and just love it!

I fly for ATA and I've been hearing a lot about C-8 getting Saab2000s. I think that C-8 really does need some heavier lift and I think this would be very positive.

By the way, I have flown with numerous C-8 pilots that have came over to ATA and have nothing but great things to say about all of them. I really would love to see a flow through agreement.

I was dissapointed to see that C-8 voted no on the union. Maybe next time.

hmmm

A few years ago I would have given a second thought to that rumor. However, there are several problems with it.

1. Saab doesn't make airplanes anymore. Buyout??

2. The only Saab 2000s in the US are corporate and there are only handful. Read less than 10. Overseas there are a few more but not a whole lot. Unless they work a deal.

3. They are/were just as expensive as an RJ, hence the tale of their demise.

Great airplane though. A stretch Saab 340 with big enough engines and wing to outrun a Do-328.

Well, since it's my understanding (possibly faulty) that Crossair was one of the only big buyers of the 2000, it's pretty likely that's where they'd come from.

What I meant by "maybe" is that getting the Saab 2000 is the maybe, for sure they would be coming from Crossair or whatever it is called now.

The FAA killed the SAAB 2000. After all the planning and engineering and test flights, there was one *small* oversight. They would not certify it for commercial service because of the tail controls. They wanted triple redundancy because it is fly by wire. It only had two systems. So they had to go back to the drawing board and spend tons of money. But guess what happened before they finished? The RJ was born, and nobody wanted one anymore. SAAB ended up losing the whole aviation division because of bankruptcy over this failed venture.

I have flown the sim at FSI, and it is a beast! It is a big as an ATR-72, low wing, but has @4,000 SHP a side. V1 cuts literally took every once of muscle to hold it level. 80% of the people rolled it the first couple of times.

Latest resources

Back