C-5 Crash animation and CVR

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hagar17 said:
Maybe you should re-think posting a priviledged DOD safety mishap brief on a public website, a violation of federal law.

I'd ask the moderator to remove the post, if I were you. We had a retired LTC lose his retirement for posting this on the web.

Just my advice.

Hag

Not sure that what is on that link is subject to safety privilege.... I know that the AF Safety Center and AMC says otherwise, but not sure they are correct in this case: The determining factor is that whether the video is from "purely" factual CVR and FDR data or is some "conclusions" or "analysis" included in the video.

Here is the rule on safety privilege concerning computer animations: The following are privileged:

c. Computer generated animations not involving "factual" data. Animations that were based on analysis and recommendations. (Computer generated recreations of FDRs and CVRs are factual and not subject to safety "privilege")

propjob27 said:
Fortunately, as an all civilian guy, I have no idea what an LTC even is. So I think I'm cool there. And he lost his retirment? Was he ex UAL or DAL?

Hey Hagar, were you the one who shut down Napster? Nice work bud.

An LTC is an ARMY Lieutenant Colonel.

You didn't post the video, you just posted a link, so I don't think that violates the law.

This video may not be subject to the privilege rules/laws based on the fact that it is an animation of purely factual data not conclusions drawn.

However, if for sake of argument, that it is privileged, AND you had a website, and you posted it on it-- you would have violated federal law. Doesn't matter if you were purely civilian and didn't know what you were doing etc.

Of course, not reporting tips is a violation of federal law, being in this country illegally , etc. etc.

CA1900 said:
Brilliant. I'd like to see how your decision making is at 7am, six hours after you got just 4 hours of sleep.
Let's just hope the Iayatollah doesn't know to attack when the boys dosen't be getting their beauty rest.

Hey Hagar, were you the one who shut down Napster? Nice work bud.[/quote]

I think that was Metallica

he shut down Napster? No way, now i am really, really P.O!

On a serious note, ... eh, nevermind.

propjob27 said:
Every airline I've flown for teaches matching the throttles after securing the engine. This would have avoided the "throttle" swap where the flying pilot retards the good, #3 enigne and resumes flying with the dead, #2 engine.

Yeah, sleep helps too. But it's tough to make someone go to sleep in the late afternoon for an 0100L show.

I see you have a CL65 type rating. Tell me how you comply with the single engine checklist on the CRJ while matching the "bad with the good"?

Last edited:
Hagar17 said:
... We had a retired LTC lose his retirement for posting this on the web.

Just my advice.

Hag

Can you provide a link to that? UCMJ actions are all public record. I smell BS, unless the LTC in question had some offical access to the video.

I see you have a CL65 type rating. Tell me how you comply with the single engine checklist on the CRJ while matching the "bad with the good"?

Can't say that I recall what's on that checklist. That was a loooong time ago. But after running thru the single engine procedure or checklist (whatever your airline calls it), the flying pilot would advance the bad throttle back up to match the good one. As soon as you heard "single engine checklist complete", you squared the throttles (at least at the 4 airlines that operate jets that I've flown for anyway...)

You're just moving a dead lever that doesn't do a dam n thing at that point

I think that they are saying that if all 4 throttles were moved to firewall they would have had 3 good engines instead of the dreaded 2 engine approach.... maybe they could have just stayed a little high untill field was made......

Latest resources

Back