• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

C-5 Crash animation and CVR

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Maybe they need to re-think C-5 "recurrent"...
Brilliant. I'd like to see how your decision making is at 7am, six hours after you got just 4 hours of sleep.

From the accident report:
All crewmembers who were interviewed and/or provided written statements were given the opportunity for adequate crew rest. However given the early alert time on the day of the mishap (0100L) no crewmember from whom data was obtained slept longer than four and one half hours … Given the limited sleep obtained by the crew as well as the temporal proximity of the flight and misshape to expected circadian nadairs, the crew was probably not functioning at peak efficency.

Maybe it's time to stop just talking about human factors in aviation, and actually do something about it. How many crashes is it going to take before we figure out that people aren't machines?

Every airline I've flown for teaches matching the throttles after securing the engine. This would have avoided the "throttle" swap where the flying pilot retards the good, #3 enigne and resumes flying with the dead, #2 engine.

Yeah, sleep helps too. But it's tough to make someone go to sleep in the late afternoon for an 0100L show.

propjob27 said:

Maybe you should re-think posting a priviledged DOD safety mishap brief on a public website, a violation of federal law.

I'd ask the moderator to remove the post, if I were you. We had a retired LTC lose his retirement for posting this on the web.

Just my advice.

Hag

CA1900 said:
How many crashes is it going to take before we figure out that people aren't machines?

As many as it takes for it to become financially justifiable to do something about it... Lets face it, that's what it is all about. You need to look no further than the 135 rest/duty regs and all of their various interpretations to see what's going on. The FAA is nothing more than many different regionally divided bureaucracies, called FSDO's.

a violation of federal law! are you the guy that reported me for removing that mattress tag!

ReportCanoa said:
Are you going to call the cops?

yes, as a matter of fact. Just got off the phone with the Dover Safety Office.

Have a nice day.

Hagar17 said:
Maybe you should re-think posting a priviledged DOD safety mishap brief on a public website, a violation of federal law.

I'd ask the moderator to remove the post, if I were you. We had a retired LTC lose his retirement for posting this on the web.

Just my advice.

Hag

All he is doing is providing the link to an already public website. I don't think he was the one who generated the website. As long as he did not take the info from a website that ends with ".mil" or ".gov" or from the SIPRnet and post it on a public website then I don't see what the problem is. Lighten up Francis.

Last edited:
Hagar17 said:

I'm all for keeping sensitive data in-house, but I don't think the clip rises to the level of "sensitive".

Many of us are transport category pilots and can glean some valuable lessons from this mishap. I investigated plenty of military mishaps that contained sensitive elements (aircraft/weapons capabilities, missions, etc) but there is no way on Earth this mishap meets that criteria.

If it was a "fatigue" mishap...then we all have need-to-know of that factor. If it was a CRM mishap...that's important to all of us too. If the crew simply screwed up the conduct of the checklist, then I'm sure each of us will do a short mental review to evaluate our own checklist discipline.

The animation has more impact (no pun intended) than a dry AMB report, and from what I have seen, it doesn't name names, identify who-did-what-wrong, or divulge "sensitive" military capabilites or procedures.

If you know a LTC that got hammered for posting a post-mishap animation such as this one, I'd be very interested in hearing more details. I'm guessing there's more to the story if that is, in fact, what happened.

My airline has used another C-5 mishap animation (the approach stall event) as part of our annual recurrent training program. It is an excellent device. None of us had to sign special waivers to view it, or promise to keep the details of the animation confidential. I think the goal is aviation safety. If you believe posting of the clip supercedes that...then we disagree.

Latest resources

Back