• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

C-150 starting problem

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Have you tried pushing in the clutch and pumping the gas peddal a couple times?

No really, I would put the timeing back to 32 like it was and see if things get better.

Then again, you could have a bad mechanic and have to replace it with a new one.

Gatorman said:
Have you tried pushing in the clutch and pumping the gas peddal a couple times?

No really, I would put the timeing back to 32 like it was and see if things get better.

Then again, you could have a bad mechanic and have to replace it with a new one.
lmao !

If you've checked spark and you have spark, then it's probably time to start looking elsewhere for your troubles. Go back to basics. If spark exists, then timing is important. If it was firing before you changed the timing, then put it back.

If timing is right and you've got spark, then you have only fuel and air to consider. If you're getting fuel, it may not be mixed properly or metered properly, or you may have an air blockage. Carb air door for example.

Your mags aren't stabbed one eighty out, by chance, are they?

Well, you did mention that it has a brand new carb. Did your problems start showing up around this time also? Will it start nicely on a cold start (first of the day) but not so well on a 'hot' start?

Hmmm, won't start, so we better replace that starter. Hmmm, that did'nt work, let's replace the carb. Hmmm, that did'nt work, let's start messing with the mags............................Tinckeritis at its best! :rolleyes: :laugh:

Used to be that mechanics fixed things, troubleshot, and their work was their signature.

Now mechanics replace things, replace more things, and their signature is their signature.

What went wrong?

avbug said:
Used to be that mechanics fixed things, troubleshot, and their work was their signature.

Now mechanics replace things, replace more things, and their signature is their signature.

What went wrong?

While I'm not an airplane mechanic (although I wish I was) I did work as a bicycle mechanic for many years back in HS and college. After about a 12 year leave from the bike (and doing bike mx) I reciently got back into the sport and I see the same stuff avbug talks about above.

It used to be when a bottom bracket needed service you took it apart, looked at the bearings, races, cups and shaft then determined what needs repair or replacement and put it back together for another 1500-3000 miles. Now days the mechanic pulls out the whole BB cartridge tosses it away and replaces it with a new sealed one. The same thing with headsets and hubs. Nobody trouble shoots and fixes.

In all that component changing, the real problem, aside from the loss of craftsmanship, is that nobody actually finds out what's really wrong. Just keep changing parts and either could-not-duplicate it,or assume it's fixed because it doesn't reoccur after some particular component change or another...and send it back into the air.

I ran into a group of individuals wearing white lab coats bearing patches from various aircraft manufacturers, all working on a Cessna 210 at a Northwest airport some time ago. They were parked next to me, and for the better part the day, ran that contraption at full bore while fiddling with this or that. I sat on the flight deck for hour after hour trying to study, and at the end of the day finally approached them to ask them if they could be helped.

Aside from the fact that their smocks were from several different aircraft manufacturers, or the fact that I've never seen line mechanics wearing white lab coats, or the fact that they were all wearing concealed sidearms, or the fact tha they didn't have a clue what they were doing...the nose was giving me a splitting headache and the curiosity was killing me.

They asked if I knew anything about the airplane, and the described their problem. They'd made seven forced landings over the past two days, with engine problems and failure. Kept screwing around and then flying again. They'd replaced certain components repeatedly...the same components, all with no change in the condition. I suggested that possibly they might stop guessing and changing components, and then isolated their problem to a ruptured diaphram in the fuel flow divider. Problem solved.

(Turns out they were pilots for a federal agency performing aerial surveillance, and truly didn't have a clue what they were doing...another story). So, when a problem develops, just keep changing components (eventhe same one, over and over) until it goes away...

"...left at Bandaid ...?"

That would have to be the indominable Truman Sparks from the movie Fandango, as he flies under a bridge to rescue the blushing bride.

Where the hell is my laundry?

avbug said:

What went wrong?

I can answer that.....glad you asked

When it becomes more economical for the mechanic to get paid their hourly rate verses shot-gunning a part, then it will go back to their work being their signature.

Also, when the mechanic has the time to fix something rather rushing through a job to meet a schedule.

I don't rush to meet anybodies schedule. When I pick up a wrench, the job will take as long as it takes. Speed kills.

I've seen that happen first hand, time and time again.

Shotgunning problems by throwing parts instead of troubleshooting and fixing, has always been false economy. Gee, we've replaced that generator five times now, and the problem still exists. We keep having to cancel flights or charter...it's costing us a fortune. We better get another generator in here to throw on that engine. I hope this one works...

False economy.

Glad I read this thread. Really makes me want to learn more about engines. I might get my chance this summer (most likely only airframes, but that's a start!) Glad to see you posting on propilot avbug. I'll be there as soon as I get my lazy arse to sign up. Nothing wrong with FI but I'll like the balance.

Well, crazynut52, how's the 150 doing? Can't wait to hear what the problem was.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back