C-150 starting problem

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
avbug said:
Used to be that mechanics fixed things, troubleshot, and their work was their signature.

Now mechanics replace things, replace more things, and their signature is their signature.

What went wrong?

Ask your favorite lawyer.

well, as some of you had suggested, it took another mechanic to fix the problem. Turns out it was the capacitor inside of the magneto. Apparently the mag wasnt producing enough of a spark at low rpm (starting) but once running it ran fine. So it starts great now...and I have a new capacitor ordered for the other mag too.

I thought you said spark had been verified...

we took all the plugs out, cleaned them and checked their spark. We rotated the prop by hand to make sure they were are getting spark...He thinks possibly it could be the impulse coupling, but wasnt sure, because it sparks when turning it over by hand.

Ask your favorite lawyer.

What would my favorite lawyer tell me about mechanics who don't troubleshoot or fix, but who keep changing components until something eventually works? Poor craftsmanship equates to reduced liability?

I don't think so. Try again.

avbug said:
Try again.

No thanks. I have to go swap some fuel pressure sensors from right to left on a Cessna Conquest I. The engines are running fine, the gauge pressure reads normal, but the pilot reports that at altitude he's getting a "LOW FUEL PRESSURE" warning light. After looking at the fuel system schematics I think it's a bad sensor. If the problem swaps sides I'll know for sure and I'll order a new one. Will cost the guy 1 hour shop time and the cost of the sensor.

Last edited:
Are you priming the engine? or are you pumping the throttle? If you prime the fuel goes into the cylnder if you pump the fuel goes into the intake manifold,if the engine is turning, If it isnt turning it pools in the carb.
I would check the inpulse coupling first if its and older aiplane, square tail, it might have a booster coil in which case that would be your problem.

No thanks. I have to go swap some fuel pressure sensors from right to left on a Cessna Conquest I. The engines are running fine, the gauge pressure reads normal, but the pilot reports that at altitude he's getting a "LOW FUEL PRESSURE" warning light. After looking at the fuel system schematics I think it's a bad sensor. If the problem swaps sides I'll know for sure and I'll order a new one. Will cost the guy 1 hour shop time and the cost of the sensor.

That would be troubleshooting, and irrelevant in respect to my point...which is valid.

If you had merely decided to start replacing fuel sensors, that would be another matter.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back