Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Baghdad Tower

Deuce130 said:
Fighter guy wouldn't be doing a tac approach into Baghdad. At least not until the whole AF moved in there and the ILS was set up...

Someday an airline pilot may get a chance to use the old comeback line: "Yeah, I was here before, but it was dark, and I didn't land!

GoUglyEarly said:
Been to Bagram lately?? ILS??

Last time I landed there was in November 2001 to drop off 50 10th Mountain Div soldiers and two dogs. Only thing there at the time was a ST team, lots of craters, and lots of bombed out hardware. I'm sure it looks pretty different now. What's there now, MLS? TAC? Not to ruffle any feathers, but my point was that hercs are usually landing somewhere long before the fighters start flying out of there. Of course, that's due to the mission set not anything else. Just trying to poke you guys a little...

Last edited:
Spur said:
I dont think he was counting the Hog as a fighter... are you??

hah! Well, I DID see a Hog driver GUN an F-15C WIC student at an ME a couple years ago. It was quite horrifying. But, to watch this young A-10 pilot sitting through two hours of the Air-to-Air debrief chomping at the bit to yell "STOP!" was quite satisfying to this viper guy.:laugh:

OrionFE said:
What was the first plane to land in Bagdad after it reopened.........

I'm pretty sure it was a C-130. MC-130H guys say it was a Talon II that landed there first, though I heard a rumor that a Minnesota ANG herk (or a USMC KC-130, can't remember which) with an IFE was actually the first one to land there, though not by choice. Kind of funny for me at the time - AFSOC was all spinning up about seizing BIAP and was actually concerned (though I'm sure noone will admit it now) that the Army would get there before we could do it. In the end, I think it was proven that the best way to take an airfield is with Abrams Tanks, not C-130's and helos.

Der Kommissar said:
Isn't that quite a long ways away from any blue wet stuff for a P3 to be? :)

No, not realy! The P-3 has been the first on the scene since the first golf war. Multi Mission Aircrat!

Latest resources

Back