C-130 crash???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PreContact

http://www.whas11.com/topstories/stories/051507whasmjdTopPlanecrash.7141cd89.html

Officials respond to reports of plane down in southern Kentucky

[SIZE=-1]0604 PM EDT on Tuesday, May 15, 2007[/SIZE]

WILLIAMSBURG, Ky. (AP) -- Fire and law enforcement officials were responding to reports of a possible plane crash in southeastern Kentucky on Tuesday.
Denise Crawford, dispatch supervisor Knox County sheriff’s department, said the department had received several reports of a plane down and smoke in a wooded area. Fire and law enforcement officers headed to the scene, but she could not confirm a crash.
“We’ve had calls from everywhere,” Crawford said. “We have people out looking at it, but there’s not been a visual.”
Several television reports had witnesses describing a large, green, four-engine plane flying low over Corbin on Tuesday afternoon. Paul Wilson told WKYT-TV in Lexington he saw the plane struggling to stay in the air and that it appeared to have smoke coming from one of the engines.
Col. Phil Miller with the Kentucky National Guard said they were checking into the incident.
Capt. Dale Greer, public affairs officer with 123rd Airlift Wing of the Kentucky Air National Guard said it was not a plane from the wing.
“It’s not one of our aircraft,” Greer said. He had no other information.

False report, All aircraft and crews accounted for. Some redneck saw a herk flying a low level. Low aircraft + smoke (imagine that from a herk) = plane crash???

http://www.whas11.com/topstories/stories/051507whasjdTopstoryCrash.71eb9cc5.html

No evidence of Kentucky plane crash

[SIZE=-1]08:26 PM EDT on Tuesday, May 15, 2007[/SIZE]

WOODBINE, Ky. (AP) -- Fire and law enforcement officials in southeastern Kentucky called off the search for a reported plane crash when it turned out to be a false alarm.
Both the Air Force and the Federal Aviation Administration said all aircraft were present and accounted for despite numerous reports Tuesday afternoon of a low-flying plane in Knox County, near the Tennessee border.
“As far as I know, we don’t know about any wreckage and we’re not missing any irplanes,” said FAA spokeswoman Laura Brown.
The Kentucky Air National Guard and the Air Force echoed Brown’s comments. Air Force spokeswoman Regina Winchester said preliminary reports that a large military plane had crashed were “incorrect.”
Rescue workers with the Knox County sheriffs department were called off around 7 p.m. EST, about three hours after reports of a plane crashing near Kentucky Highway 459.
Denise Crawford, dispatch supervisor Knox County sheriff’s department, said the department had received several reports of a plane down and smoke in a wooded area. Fire and law enforcement officers headed to the scene but didn’t find anything.
“We’ve had calls from everywhere,” Crawford said. “We have people out looking at it, but there’s not been a visual.”
Several television reports had witnesses describing a large, green, four-engine plane flying low over Corbin on Tuesday afternoon. After hours of looking with help from the Kentucky
National Guard turned up nothing, the search was abandoned.

Last edited:
While flying P-3's out of Selfridge during the 80's, we would often do a low level over water route over lower Lake Huron at 300’ up to Wurtsmith AFB where we would work the pattern. Enroute we would normally shut down #4 engine for training to practice low level nav with an engine loitered. Once after we had done this, we got a call from the tower that an airplane was in trouble about 50 SE of Wurtsmith and would we go see if could assist the troubled airplane. Someone had reported an airplane flying at low level smoking with one of its engines shut down and it has now disappeared. Of course we were ready to help and went Buster down to the area of the reported troubled airplane. We looked around and found nothing, so we returned to Wurtsmith to finish our pattern work. While in the pattern tower again called and the tower said they had gotten another call that the trouble airplane had returned, but all 4 engines were now working but it again had gone away. We had discovered the enemy and it was us.

While flying P-3's out of Selfridge during the 80's, we would often do a low level over water route over lower Lake Huron at 300’ up to Wurtsmith AFB where we would work the pattern. Enroute we would normally shut down #4 engine for training to practice low level nav with an engine loitered. Once after we had done this, we got a call from the tower that an airplane was in trouble about 50 SE of Wurtsmith and would we go see if could assist the troubled airplane. Someone had reported an airplane flying at low level smoking with one of its engines shut down and it has now disappeared. Of course we were ready to help and went Buster down to the area of the reported troubled airplane. We looked around and found nothing, so we returned to Wurtsmith to finish our pattern work. While in the pattern tower again called and the tower said they had gotten another call that the trouble airplane had returned, but all 4 engines were now working but it again had gone away. We had discovered the enemy and it was us.

Oh I can see it now.

FOX NEWS.COM

Breaking News

FAA officials, responding to calls and complaints from numerous citizens and local communities have begun drafting a law banning military aircraft from low level flying in the CONUS. A top official was quoted as saying "These aviators have no need to fly low level as they don't do it in Iraq...and frankly, it is beginning to scare and shock the general public".

mm hmm. I called it :p

struggle

Paul Wilson told WKYT-TV in Lexington he saw the plane struggling to stay in the air

That is what C-130s do... struggle to say in the air!

Hurlburt flies a lot of low levels up that way and when I read the headline, I was concerned we lost another special ops bird.

Goose17

As a member of the 123d, I can tell you that we have had the phone call before and it turned out to be true. You take them all serious until some returns a radio call.

A few tense moments....

As a member of the 123d, I can tell you that we have had the phone call before and it turned out to be true. You take them all serious until some returns a radio call.

A few tense moments....

I saw the memorial picture in your ops building while I was there for the airshow a few weeks back. Gave me chills. Stay safe.

FOX NEWS.COM

Breaking News

FAA officials, responding to calls and complaints from numerous citizens and local communities have begun drafting a law banning military aircraft from low level flying in the CONUS. A top official was quoted as saying "These aviators have no need to fly low level as they don't do it in Iraq...and frankly, it is beginning to scare and shock the general public".

You had me riled up there for a minute... then I realized Fox News would never use the term "CONUS" in an article.

Latest resources

Back