BYOB on Jet Blue

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks. This I understand.
(a) No person may drink any alcoholic beverage aboard an aircraft unless the certificate holder operating the aircraft has served that beverage to him.

But I have NEVER seen where it is acceptable to show up at the gate with my "40 in a skirt", AKA Colt 45 in brown bag and ask the FA to, "keep it chillin homie".

Last edited:
G4G5 said:
But I have NEVER seen where it is acceptable to show up at the gate with my "40 in a skirt", AKA Colt 45 in brown bag and ask the FA to keep it cold for me.

Well, homie, here's your chance! ;) TC

If you show up with a "40" you problably won't be able to drink it on the flight. In the almost five years here, I have never once seen anybody show up with a six pack or a bottle of wine and wanted it served during the flight. Not saying it hasn't happened, but not on my flights. Kind of like showing up in a bar and asking them to put your beer on ice and serve it. Not gonna happen. Now I know you can show up at other establishments with your own alcohol for special occasions (weddings, etc.) and have them serve it, but you pay for corkage. The charge is a service charge and in some cases, the difference between the wholesale price of the drink and what the establishment would charge if you bought it from them. Also, the drink is not going to be put on ice because there's no room in the ice bin and health reasons for putting a bottle or can in the same ice you're going to drink a Coke in. Again, not going to happen.

AA717driver said:
Well, homie, here's your chance! ;) TC

At least now when I show up to the airport in my flip flops, cutoff sweat pants and wife beater t-shirt. I can complete the ensemble with my 6 pack of Pabst Blue Ribbon. Jetblue may want to put a few more lavs on that A320.

Now if they would let me smoke my Kools, life would be perfect. I guess even Earl has to fly from time to time.

Last edited:
G4G5 said:
Thanks. This I understand.
(a) No person may drink any alcoholic beverage aboard an aircraft unless the certificate holder operating the aircraft has served that beverage to him.

But I have NEVER seen where it is acceptable to show up at the gate with my "40 in a skirt", AKA Colt 45 in brown bag and ask the FA to, "keep it chillin homie".

ACA/ACJet/United Express/Delta Connection/Independence Air had this policy. Bring it on and we'll serve it to you.

JB Bus Drvr said:
If you show up with a "40" you problably won't be able to drink it on the flight. In the almost five years here, I have never once seen anybody show up with a six pack or a bottle of wine and wanted it served during the flight. Not saying it hasn't happened, but not on my flights. Kind of like showing up in a bar and asking them to put your beer on ice and serve it. Not gonna happen. Now I know you can show up at other establishments with your own alcohol for special occasions (weddings, etc.) and have them serve it, but you pay for corkage. The charge is a service charge and in some cases, the difference between the wholesale price of the drink and what the establishment would charge if you bought it from them. Also, the drink is not going to be put on ice because there's no room in the ice bin and health reasons for putting a bottle or can in the same ice you're going to drink a Coke in. Again, not going to happen.

I completely understand what you are saying and agree with you. In my 3+ years at AA I never saw someone bring on their own booze (not trying to sneak it on). That is why I was asking if what the Wall Street Journal is reporting
"Passengers who like to drink have some recourse. JetBlue Airways lets you bring wine onboard as long as a flight attendant serves it. The flight attendant will open and pour only wine, beer and champagne -- no hard alcohol is allowed."

Is true, because it completely contradicts what I believe to be true and what you have stated. The WSJ has a reputation above most of the typical rag sheets. That is why I find this so surprising.

The ramifications of everyone showing up for their JFK-OAK flt with their own beer, wine or champagne goes beyond what I can think of.

My next question would be, does theTSA even allow you to bring your own beer, wine or champagne through security? From what I remember you can bring sealed wine bottles but champagne? Bottles of beer? They seem to be is the realm of a security risk.

I am guessing that this is possibly a loop hole that the public does not know about and that no one has ever pushed the issue. I am also guessing that because the FAR's state that the FA's can not serve you if you are intoxicated (and they have you booze, or at least have to poor it). Then this is the loop hole the company has to cut you off.

Last edited:
Patriot328 said:
ACA/ACJet/United Express/Delta Connection/Independence Air had this policy. Bring it on and we'll serve it to you.

Thanks, I guess that this is common but I had never heard of it. Live and learn.

I think they stop loose bottles, but allow sealed packages as I have seen folks coming back from cruises with boxes with two or four bottles in it. Also, another issue is Hazmat. I have to look in my FOM to be sure, but I believe the limit is 128 oz. per person.

There is nothing that says they have to keep your libations on ice. Bring a six, but be ready to suck down a warm one. And, don't forget that they don't have to serve it to you if you are obviously intoxicated.

Aren't there more important things to debate?

What!! Beer on a plane as a pax...I find it hard to find anything more important to talk about......:)

Latest resources

Back