Buying multi-time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
drinkduff77 said:
My advice to you, if you're going to buy time, is to maybe not buy quite as much. There are cargo operators that will hire you on with 1000 tt and 25-30 multi. Look at somewhere like Airnet where they'll hire you on as an SIC until you get 135 mins, pass your PIC checkride, and fly for a year on your run. After your year, you'll have approx 2200 total and 1000 multi PIC. You can then choose to stay (possibly upgrade to the Lear) or if you leave you'll be a lot more competitive for a corporate gig or whatever you want. Not to mention you'll be as competent an instrument pilot as any out there with a lot of valuable experience.

There are obviously other operators out there that are good too (Ameriflight, Mountain air cargo, etc.)

I'm just trying to say you could save yourself a few grand by not buying as much time if that's the only option for you.

-'duff

I love it! Best so far. Can any of you guys tell me where I should try and apply without looking like a total moron with my low time? I see airnets min to apply is around 500 so I'm almost there.

mcjohn said:
I'm sick of begging for multi-opportunities and waiting around so long at dead end CFI jobs.

Are you serious?? You've got 410 hrs, how much "waiting around" have you done?? :rolleyes: Accept the fact you may actually have to :gasp: instruct for a year or more, and multi opportunities will come your way.

Before anyone gets me wrong, I'm not some "old-timer" who started flying when it required 3000 hrs to fly commuters, etc. But I am sick of everyone thinking at 500 hrs they're above flying a single-engine piston and gaining some experience. Realize there's a tried and true process to getting to a flying job, which involves spending some time at each stage (and rightfully so).

Go to ALLATP and get your MEI and II (they do it in a twin) that will get you enough time to do some MEI work, to get a 135 job, to get experience to get a really low paying job that MIGHT lead to a medium paying job and POSSIBLY lead to one that makes decent money. There are no short cuts to getting experience only short sightedness.

UZAInstructor said:
Are you serious?? You've got 410 hrs, how much "waiting around" have you done?? :rolleyes: Accept the fact you may actually have to :gasp: instruct for a year or more, and multi opportunities will come your way.

Before anyone gets me wrong, I'm not some "old-timer" who started flying when it required 3000 hrs to fly commuters, etc. But I am sick of everyone thinking at 500 hrs they're above flying a single-engine piston and gaining some experience. Realize there's a tried and true process to getting to a flying job, which involves spending some time at each stage (and rightfully so).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not above flying single pistons. I would love to have a job flying single pistons along with instructing. The waiting around thing comes from the small student base we see here in W.N.C. I've been driving 40 mins each way to go teach a single flight lesson and only have two students who will hardly ever show up and I've gotten them close to check ride but they are stuck b/c they can't show up any time but one flight on the weekends and that's only a maybe. THAT IS a DEAD END JOB. Now I'm going to work a little closer to home and hope it goes better for me.
My arguement on the rush to multi - When mins. go down at some places they commonly go down to 500-600 TT and 100-200 multi. Like I've heard plenty of people say on this forum - MULTI PIC IS GOLD.

I like the ATP flight school idea but is has gotten so much more expensive. I'd have to buy the extra multi PIC time to reach 15 hrs and pay the course cost for CFII and MEI plus 2 checkrides I think. I'd guess that's at least 4g's.

I'm still in debt about 7g's from all my training up to date.

Thanks for the response.

Skaff said:
If I hadn't bought some extra time, wouldn't have been qualified for an interview. Would have pushed back my interview 6 to 8 months at the rate I was going. If I had waited the 6-8 months, I wouldn't be a Captain now. I've been a Captain for just about a year now. $5000 investment 4 years ago paid out approximatly an additional $35,000 last year. Good return on investment, I'm glad I bought a little extra time.

i agree...same situation here...

Latest resources

Back