Buying multi-time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mcjohn

I just interviewed and was hired at a 141 flight school with a Seminole. Turns out that the Seminole is a lemon and has been going down for Mx about every 3-4 hours it flies. Now I'm bummed out about working there as I see no opportunity to build multi. Boss has said he'd help out with the CFII and MEI if I do a good job but now I wonder if that was BS. Also, turns out that the instructors before me had to go buy their multi time at Ari-Ben to get their new jobby jobs.
So, now I guess I should just go buy the time as well. I'm sick of begging for multi-opportunities and waiting around so long at dead end CFI jobs.
I think Ari-Ben is way expensive so please help out with some input regarding something more affordable or whether or not this is even worth it. Charlotte is a 2 hour car commute and Atlanta is 3-5 hours away. Keep in mind, I may buy 50 hours of multi but I will not PFT and be kicked out to the street. Now you may ask why did I post here at the regional thread and here's why:

I need some input from you guys in with the regionals on how I should best go about putting myself on a path to qualify for a job that allows me to fly a lot and build multi PIC (since many of you have been there/done that). I have 7.4 hours of multi PIC and think that maybe by buying 50 hrs of multi I could qualify for a low end cargo job that would take on a guy with 500tt and 50 hrs multi. What do you think?

Don't be discouraged.....and don't count on a flight school getting, keeping, or maintaing a twin......my experience is that it's always been smoke and mirrors. I'm sure there are a thousand people about to post a story about a great flight school somewhere that'll prove me wrong....but I've almost never seen it personally. There are places that'll hire a VFR 135 guy, try the southwest....there's no weather and VFR will generally cut it. Granted, it's hard to find these operators.....I know of one, and will steer you in their direction if so sound like a stand up guy.

Now...you WILL need more than 8 hours of multi to get a job anywhere...more along the lines of 100 for even an entry-level gig. Find a friend, do the safety pilot(both logging PIC.....it IS legal, look it up) thing for each other and split the rental on a twin. Become an Angel Flight pilot(write off your time building), go to ATP and knock out your MEI in a couple of days and teach, teach, teach. Don't wait on someone to offer you a deal while teaching in a 150. It just never seems to work out.

All that having been said.........don't rush to get to a regional airline job. It sucks. Make some friends and get plugged in to the coporate/private scene. Way better option.

And quit chewing with your mouth open...gross.

svcta said:
Don't be discouraged.....and don't count on a flight school getting, keeping, or maintaing a twin......my experience is that it's always been smoke and mirrors. I'm sure there are a thousand people about to post a story about a great flight school somewhere that'll prove me wrong....but I've almost never seen it personally. There are places that'll hire a VFR 135 guy, try the southwest....there's no weather and VFR will generally cut it. Granted, it's hard to find these operators.....I know of one, and will steer you in their direction if so sound like a stand up guy.

Now...you WILL need more than 8 hours of multi to get a job anywhere...more along the lines of 100 for even an entry-level gig. Find a friend, do the safety pilot(both logging PIC.....it IS legal, look it up) thing for each other and split the rental on a twin. Become an Angel Flight pilot(write off your time building), go to ATP and knock out your MEI in a couple of days and teach, teach, teach. Don't wait on someone to offer you a deal while teaching in a 150. It just never seems to work out.

All that having been said.........don't rush to get to a regional airline job. It sucks. Make some friends and get plugged in to the coporate/private scene. Way better option.

And quit chewing with your mouth open...gross.

CARGO!!!! Don't buy your multi-time!

If I hadn't bought some extra time, wouldn't have been qualified for an interview. Would have pushed back my interview 6 to 8 months at the rate I was going. If I had waited the 6-8 months, I wouldn't be a Captain now. I've been a Captain for just about a year now. $5000 investment 4 years ago paid out approximatly an additional $35,000 last year. Good return on investment, I'm glad I bought a little extra time.

O.K. and thanks. I don't want to buy but I feel hopeless today. How in the world can someone start flying cargo without more than 7.4 hours of multi time? Maybe single engine cargo? What's the deal with that? The Angel Flight idea is great but here the south east region angel flying organization just imposed a $50 application fee. I'm like?! DO YOU HAVE TO BUY EVERY FREAKIN THING IN AVIATION!!!
Maybe the $50 fee is a good thing and will lower the number of pilots or co-pilots available. Maybe I should just pay it. It would go to a worthy org. as well. I'll pay it.

What cargo ops. hire people with only 500 total time and hardly none ME though?

My advice to you, if you're going to buy time, is to maybe not buy quite as much. There are cargo operators that will hire you on with 1000 tt and 25-30 multi. Look at somewhere like Airnet where they'll hire you on as an SIC until you get 135 mins, pass your PIC checkride, and fly for a year on your run. After your year, you'll have approx 2200 total and 1000 multi PIC. You can then choose to stay (possibly upgrade to the Lear) or if you leave you'll be a lot more competitive for a corporate gig or whatever you want. Not to mention you'll be as competent an instrument pilot as any out there with a lot of valuable experience.

There are obviously other operators out there that are good too (Ameriflight, Mountain air cargo, etc.)

I'm just trying to say you could save yourself a few grand by not buying as much time if that's the only option for you.

-'duff

how about this novel idea

instruct till you get 135 IFR mins and get on with Ram, Airnow, Airnet, etc.?

ram and airnow have no multi reqs and airnet will take you with 50 or so...

yea, you may miss out on that all important captain upgrade, but you wont be down 6 or 7 grand

Latest resources

Back