• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

buying a ticket but then trying to non-rev to get 1st class

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Do not nonrev if you have purchased a ticket! The airline will look at it as if you were trying to save yourself a seat by buying a ticket and then not using it. This could, and has got at least one person fired. And she did it inadvertently, when the gate agent suggested that she just nonrev because there were open seats available. This was within the Delta system.

We did it last year getting to Rome. Got us Business Elite going over and we rode our paid tickets back since they were on AF through CDG. No problems and never heard shat about it. YMMV

Last edited:
Here's a suggestion: you could purchase a full-fare refundable ticket on ANOTHER airline that also serves your destination. Then try to nonrev on Delta prior to that flight, and if you make it, cancel your original reservation on the other airline.

if the ticket is nonrefundable than who cares? I did it once and I just lost the $400 I spent on the ticket but I got to sit in first.

if the ticket is nonrefundable than who cares? I did it once and I just lost the $400 I spent on the ticket but I got to sit in first.
Seems logical and harmless, except that most non-rev policies forbid doing that, and they will fire you if they catch you.

As I said, if you don't use the paid outbound ticket, your return ticket will be canceled, and non-rev will be the only way home. I really wouldn't want to explain to my new bride why it took three days to get home from the islands.

Latest resources

Back