Buying a Plane for Training?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
jaxpilot said:
yeah but cmon how are you gonna find a freelance instructor that will give you airline style flight training? ;)

You're probably not going to get airline style flight training. But then again, I got airline style flight training and got me nowhere (plus a huge debt). If you do your homework (not you jaxpilot) and study up on key topics relavent to airlines, it's a good start. Studying up on some high profile airline disasters like the two pilots who took their CRJ up to FL410 and ended up crashed the plane and killing themselves is worth studying and discovering why that happened, etc.

If you really want airline style training, PM me and I'll give you the CAPT playbook and you can incorporate it into your everyday training. Believe me, it's not a big deal.

mattaxelrod said:
I think if properly maintained, used planes appreciate in value.

These must be some rare birds you're talking about. I've flown a couple of birds that were very well maintained and when it came to assessing their value, it was not even close to what the flying club got them for. And as engine TBO gets closer, the less value the plane is worth. As for a C150, I seriously doubt any C150 or any commonly manufactured planes are going to appreciate in value. Unless of course you start adding and replacing existing avionics and instruments with the latest and greatest, but then, we're not really talking about the same plane anymore are we? Not to mention the money you poured into the upgrades will most likely not be recouped from a sale. Most planes don't appreciate in value...but they certainly don't depreciate as quickly as a car.

As for a C150, I seriously doubt any C150 or any commonly manufactured planes are going to appreciate in value.

Actually, they can and have. It is not difficult to look at some of the charts that track aircraft values over time and see. Flying Magazine has done articles on used aircraft and tracked both depreciation and appreciation for some those articles.

You are right that engine times and other factors will affect value and as engine time increases value decreases. But this is not necessarily a measurement of depreciation. To evaluate depreciation you have to compare the same airplane (make, model, year, equipment, etc.) over a period of time and decide if values are increasing or decreasing. That means that if you have a 1970 150 with a 500 hour engine, you can't turn around several years later and compare it as a 1970 150 with a 1000 hour engine and declare that the model has depreciated in value. It might be worth less than one with the 500 hour engine, all other things being equal, but the question is, is the 500 hour one worth less than what you paid for your 500 hour aircraft several years earlier.

And before the accoutants get this, yes, any asset can be depreciated within the appropriate regulations.

Now, if you want to say that the engine itself depreciated, that probably is true.

Ok....when I talk about "depreciation" I'm not talking about IRS tax rules - I was talking about street price. Er, runway price hehehe

Anyway, I was talking to an older flight instructor (not sure of his age, but I'm pretty sure he's eligible for AARP membership) and he said definitely no, renting a plane is the way to go at least in the early stages of training. He said that a number of student pilots drop out...its not for everyone...and therefore you shouldn't get stuck with a big ticket purchase.

So, say I bought a plane. Once I reach the level of multi-engine training that plane is not going to do me any good! In order to get a job you have to have a certain # of multi- hours.

Maybe I am confused but why would you want "airline style flight training" for your PVT through Commercial Multi...or CFI/CFII/MEI for that matter? And what the hell is airline style flight training? Why not just wait and get airline training at the airline you are hired by? I guess if you really want an airline pilot to teach you how to fly, you can advertise for that at FBO's...just about every airline pilot I know is a CFI. Just my .02.

Sawmill said:
Maybe I am confused but why would you want "airline style flight training" for your PVT through Commercial Multi...

It sounds cool and it helps programs like CAPT dupe students to paying them big bucks for it. They say it helps you transition easier. But that easier transition sure costs a hell of a lot considering Pilot A with "airline style" training and Pilot B with traditional training will both succeed at a regional.

Here's your airline style training in a nutshell: Don't be stupid.

There, I just saved you thousands of dollars.

777-2H4:
If you think you will drop out of flight training, then dont buy a plane. if you think you will stay with it, then it is much more cost effective to have your own or 1/2 interest in one. As far as after your commercial multi (>250 hours), would you rather build time in a multi or a single? The single is cheaper obviously and you will need another 700 hours or so to be viable for the airlines. Just rent a multi for the 100 hours you need to apply to the regionals.

Well, like I said in an earlier post, I bought a plane and saved thousands. I was almost duped by the scam-artist flight schools in Florida a few years back. Fortunately I listened to pilots wiser than me and did not drink their kool-aid. I have since interviewed at 5 airlines and was offered jobs at 4 or them. Oh, by the way, I flew for 2 of them and just quit yesterday from the second. I've had enough of the madness with the regionals. I'm going back to making real money at a real job and enjoying flying my little single engine around the SE.

Once you get past the IFR and Multi stages of training, isn't it more advantageous to do most of your flying in more complex (multi) planes? I realize that all hours flown will count and you can do the bare minimum in a multi...of course I suppose you could get your MEI and instruct in a multi in order to get more time in it.

also, what about weight? This pilot told me that for a 200lb guy like myself I'd be better off in a 172 than a 150....?

As for whether I think I would drop out or not, well I don't know. How does anyone know before you do it?

Latest resources

Back