Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Buying a house, here's how to beat reatlors at their game.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FishandFly said:
HUH? Show me one year in the past 40 years when housing has decreased by 20%... It doesn't exist, and there have been a lot tougher times than what we're going through right now. i.e. current times aren't tough.

Having bought and sold dozens of homes over 30 years I can tell you that you have to know what you're doing with home sales or you can lose a lot in actual money or in unrealized profits. There's nothing wrong with becoming a realtor (real estate salesperson) to be involved in your own transactions and get a percentage of the commission. The thing is that, as a real estate professional, you are held to a higher level of responsibility in the sale than a typical homeowner. In short.....you have to know what you're doing. Without some experience you can make mistakes and be liable for all sorts of stuff that a typical homeowner is not responsible for. Good move to go with an experienced agent to lead the sale and assist for 1.5%. Put the relationships all above the table and you'll have no ethical problems.

Do a internet search, there are several services out there that will let you list on the MLS for a flat fee. This is the best way to go. Real Estate agents wil call you and ask for a percent of the sale if they bring in a buyer, so you can negotiate with them.

FishandFly said:
Smoking crack?

Pull out a calculator and type in this:

$220,000 X .06

As I said, Realtors make $13,200 on the sale of a $220,000 home.
Makes no difference to me who splits it up.

First, it is split between the listing and buying agent's companies. Then each half is split between the agent and their Broker in Charge (BIC). Agents must pay their own taxes and medical insurance (Not cheap). Agents/Brokers pay all of the adverts and MLS charges (again Not cheap). Sales don't come everyday and most agents burn out after a short period. Most agents work late hours and almost all weekends. It is a cut throat biz.

In a sellers market, do for sale buy owner, you will sell in less than a month and you will save money on commisions. However right now is a buyers market. There are tons of inventory homes and few buyers. YOU HAVE TO LIST ON MLS TO SELL ON A BUYERS MARKET. Get a good realtor to list you. Do not go with a flat fee scam. I would not negotiate commision either. in there is a lot of inventory homes for sale and few buyers how are you going to get them in to look at your house. MLS is not enough and the buyer can be very picky about wich house he/she wants now. This is how realtors do it. Joe blow walks in and wants a house, tells the realtor what he wants. The realtor looks for houses in his price range AND SORTS them out buy buyers comp.. Not all houses are listed for 6%, 5%, or 4%. If you sign up for a deal with less commision you will get no showings. The realtor will look for a buyers comp of more than 3% for his company and show you those houses(6%+). I have seen buyers comp as high as 7% ( seller paying a total commision of 10%). The realtor wants as much $ as he can get and he will sort houses by how much he will make off of the deal (buyers comp), then show you those houses. If you want to list a house for 5% or less (2.5 seller, 2.5% buyer) go ahead, but you will not have very many showings and the house will stay on the market longer. It's all about the money for the agent. If you are looking for a house to buy, drive around and look for "for sale buy owner" or assist 2 sell deals. They are not listed on commision and there for you will probably get a decent deal. Make sure you have all of your finances in order and the deal should go through O.K. Real estate is a scam. Commisions 10, 15, 30 years ago were at 6%. Houses have increased in value greatly over the standerd inflation rate over the years so the agents are geting more money to do the same amount of work.

Realtor's do make good money in a seller's market as long as he/she is putting long hours and some sort of effort. The average agent makes $30,000 per year but a lot are makeing $125,000+. In a buyers market sales slow up, good agents make less, and the weak ones eventually quit and change jobs.

Pilot00,

Very well put. I've seen a lot of 7% and that is Neg. Usually the 10% is lots only, not houses. I'm no expert, so do your homework before you buy or list. Good Luck....

pilot00 said:
Realtor's do make good money in a seller's market as long as he/she is putting long hours and some sort of effort. The average agent makes $30,000 per year but a lot are makeing $125,000+. In a buyers market sales slow up, good agents make less, and the weak ones eventually quit and change jobs.

These must be very poor average agents. 2 very good friends are realtor's and consistantly make over mid 100k per year. I did my license a couple of years ago and sell part time and I make more than 30k a year extra on top of my airline pay. Just don't know if I could be a realtor full time though!

What is a good place to search for forclosures/repos? Most sites I have found on the internet charge a fee.

Is there a generic site that lists MLS, or should I just go through a real estate companys website (ReMax).

Thanks.

Latest resources

Back