Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Gas Man

I fly RJ's!
I've been furloughed for the last 8 months and I am considering buying a 737NG type for around $15,000.
I have 5K tt and have been flying turbo props that last 10 years. I have my own set of pros and cons to doing this but was looking for some more input.
Lastly, I understand the time on type catch 22. I am willing to go overseas due to the fact that some may not require TOT.

Its a waste of time and money, what will it do for you unless you have an in or lead somewhere. Sorry, but it won't open any doors.

Now, if you network first, and then find out you need it....

Not trying to be a d!ck, but there are a ton of guys pounding the streets looking for work with over a thousand time in type 737 with a type rating.

Unless Uncle Sam is buying the ticket, I'd keep the money and get a home-every-night job until things sort themselves out instead of running overseas chasing work that may or may not be there.

Unless, of course, you have something concrete lined up.

Also, no such thing as 737NG type. Just a B737 type. No advantage to getting the training in a NG Sim.

I've been furloughed for the last 8 months and I am considering buying a 737NG type for around $15,000.
I have 5K tt and have been flying turbo props that last 10 years. I have my own set of pros and cons to doing this but was looking for some more input.
Lastly, I understand the time on type catch 22. I am willing to go overseas due to the fact that some may not require TOT.

15G's sounds like a rip-off. I think if you really wanted this you could get a lot better deal by shopping around. I agree with others here that say it will do nothing for you right now and would simply be a waste of money.

GasMan, if you're been furloughed, the state you live it and/or furloughed from will pick up the tab on that type.

I qualified in both states after 9/11. I only used the benefit from the state I lived it. In any event, you can get this covered.

Not that it will help you in the job market..

Ultra

Not trying to be a d!ck, but there are a ton of guys pounding the streets looking for work with over a thousand time in type 737 with a type rating.

Unless Uncle Sam is buying the ticket, I'd keep the money and get a home-every-night job until things sort themselves out instead of running overseas chasing work that may or may not be there.

Unless, of course, you have something concrete lined up.

In this country. I'm thinking that vast majority do not want to go over seas.

Anyhow, thanks for the input. I do have a 9 to 5'er but I'm thinking of ways to get myself more marketable when the hiring eventually starts. Working retail is dumbing me down more each day!

I did it and it didn't get me anywhere. I think the experience of continued flying is more helpful. Get back to the turbins and ditch the retail job (if you can). I would think an airline would rather hire someone that is flying without the type than someone with the type and not flying.

With your total time you should be able to get into a King air somewhere. They are everywhere.

I did it and it didn't get me anywhere. I think the experience of continued flying is more helpful. Get back to the turbins and ditch the retail job (if you can). I would think an airline would rather hire someone that is flying without the type than someone with the type and not flying.

With your total time you should be able to get into a King air somewhere. They are everywhere.

Show me! The planes may be everywhere, but the jobs aren't.

Don't do it!
There are some hard times ahead for SWA. As soon as Herb is really out of the picture there will be regional partners and 15 year FO's with no hiring. And sure enough not many retirements for a long time. Not to mention 4 legged days with 30 minute turns, domestic only and the same airplane for the rest of your days.

Any other airline will look unfavorably on "pay for your own training to get ahead of every one else" career choice. It smells scabby for normal airlines.

Latest resources

Back